Asda and Morrisons resort to giveaway promos
Asda and Morrisons have unleashed new offensives in the war to attract cash-strapped consumers into their stores.
Asda has promised to cut the price of 3,000 products and is handing consumers "thank you" vouchers, while the 'Morrisons Millions' campaign, which launched at the weekend, promises to give away £300 a day in every Morrisons store until the end of the month.
The Asda "thank you" voucher is worth £5 and will be given to customers when they spend £40 or more this week. Consumers can redeem the £5 when they next spend £40 or more.
Morrisons Millions is giving away £2m in total prize money and is claiming to be the "UK's biggest supermarket cash giveaway ever".
Shoppers will be entered into a daily draw everytime they spend £1 in a Morrisons store. Everyday until 30 October, three winners from each store will win £100. Entrants must check the numbers on their receipts after 8am the next day to see if they have won.
The TV campaign for Morrisons Millions broke during 'The X Factor' on Saturday night.
The offers follow a spate of price-cutting initiatives from top supermarkets. At the start of October Waitrose made a £19m commitment to match Tesco's prices, in preparation for its biggest value campaign to date.
In September Tesco announced it was slashing the prices of 3,000 products as part of its 'Big Price Drop' campaign, a week after Sainsbury's released its 'Live Well for Less' positioning, pushing its value message. Sainsbury's later introduced its 'Brand Match' promise.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @LoullaMae_ES
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- UK Marketing Controller Better Placed Recruitment £40000 - £49000 per annum + Car Allowance + Bonus , Greater Manchester
- Senior Account Director Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment Competitive Salary, Birmingham
- Brand Manager Sky negotiable, Middlesex
- Web Designer / Front-End Designer / Digital Creative Guru Careers £35 - 50k DOE, Based in Angel, London (WC1)
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity