EDF Energy looks to London 2012 for brand boost
EDF Energy hopes to deflect the public's growing disenchantment with the energy sector by opening up a monthly prize draw offering prizes including VIP tickets to the London 2012 Olympics.
The 'Thank yous' marketing strategy will involve every customer receiving a membership card, featuring a unique code that can be entered into a microsite each month for a chance to win a prize.
Dual fuel customers can enter into the prize draw twice each month, and customers without the internet can enter by telephone.
Additional prizes will include rides on the EDF Energy-sponsored London Eye with Olympic gold medal-winning rower James Cracknell, a £10,000 energy efficiency home-makeover, family days out, two-for-one offers, high-street discount vouchers, and London 2012 merchandise.
The initiative comes at a time when the energy industry is under fire from industry regulator Ofgem, as well as politicians including energy secretary Chris Huhne and opposition leader Ed Miliband, who slammed the "rigged" energy market.
EDF Energy is running a television campaign, created by AMV BBDO, to support the scheme, featuring everyday people parodying Olympians winning gold.
Archibald Ingall Stretton created the campaign website and was responsible for email creative and bill inserts.
At a Westminster summit yesterday (17 October), the Government, consumer groups, energy suppliers, and industry regulator Ofgem agreed a range of measures to help consumers save money on their gas and electricity bills, and discussed policy developments aimed at keeping household energy bills down.
Follow Matthew Chapman on Twitter @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Studio Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £29000 - £32000 per annum, Warwickshire
- Martin Sorrell earns 780 times more than average WPP employee
- 3 top tips on how to save an epic social media fail
- Lake Capital rejects demands of Engine's rebel shareholders
- Head lice-killing mousse launches in the UK with cartoon campaign
- Facebook's 'Buy' button: a leap too far?
- Beiersdorf postpones review after MAA criticisms of procedure