Bmi ends sponsorship of England rugby team
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 01:04PM
Airline bmi is to end its sponsorship of the scandal-hit England rugby team after two years.
The Rugby Football Union (RFU), the governing body for English rugby, struck a deal in 2009 for bmi to become the official airline of the England rugby team.
As well as being the official airline of the England team, which performed poorly during this year’s World Cup, bmi had exclusive naming rights for parts of the Twickenham stadium, where England plays its home matches.
O2, Nike, Investec and Land Rover are among the other sponsors of the England rugby team.
The sponsorship of shirt supplier Nike, kit sponsors O2 and official vehicle supplier Land Rover are all up for renewal at the end of the season.
Land Rover and O2 are both thought to be unhappy about the performance of the England rugby team off the pitch during the World Cup, which included a drunken night out involving dwarf throwing.
Land Rover refused to be drawn on whether it would be renewing its sponsorship.
A spokesperson for bmi said: "Bmi's sponsorship as the official airline of England rugby is due to expire at the end of 2011. A decision was taken before the Rugby World Cup not to renew the sponsorship."
In September, bmi-owner Lufthansa, the German airline group said it was considering a sale of bmi. Bmi, whose flight destinations include Europe, the Middle East and Asia, lost £105m in the first half of the year, according to its financial accounts.
The RFU was unavailable for comment.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- SEO & PPC Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Video Advertising Strategist Ultimate Asset £40000 - £55000 per annum + excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater)
- Account Manager- Sports Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum + excellent benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Graphic Designer Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film