Duke Nukem slammed for graphic strip club ad
By Matthew Chapman, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 19 October 2011 12:01AM
An ad for computer game 'Duke Nukem Forever', featuring naked women pole-dancing and a full frontal view of a woman wearing only a thong, has been restricted to a post-11pm slot by the regulator.
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) received 34 complaints about the ad, which aired in June and also featured a scene in a club of two schoolgirls embracing.
Viewers complained that the ad for the Take Two computer game was sexist, violent, overly explicit and included imagery that was likely to harm children and vulnerable people.
The ad was broadcast after 9pm. Content of a sexual nature was interspersed with action scenes featuring aircraft firing weapons and a character being punched.
Take Two defended the ad, arguing it did not cause serious offence because the game was a "cartoonish, over-the-top, humorous take on the first-person, shooter video game genre and deliberately distanced itself from the ultra realistic, graphic modern war games that dominated the field".
It also claimed the creative was similar to mass-market entertainment including TV, film or music videos.
The ASA noted the post-9pm scheduling restriction meant very young children were unlikely to be exposed to the ad. However, it ruled the "presentation of the women's naked bodies and their very sexual movements and gyrations were overly sexually explicit" for that time of the day.
The ad watchdog also objected to the scene with the characters dressed as schoolgirls, because it appeared to link teenage girls with sexually provocative behaviour.
As a result, the ASA has ruled the ad must now be broadcast after 11pm.
Follow Matthew Chapman on Twitter @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Account Director / Senior Account Director - Stunning Agency Fill Recruitment to £60k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital and Integrated Planner air recruitment Up to £60K (dependent on experience) plus benefits and bonuses, London (Central), London (Greater)
- CREATIVE LEAD - EVENTS & EXPERIENTIAL Live Recruitment Negotiable, City of London
- DIGITAL DESIGNER Live Recruitment £20000 - £25000 per annum, City of London