Kellogg's to add Vitamin D and overhaul packaging
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 28 October 2011 01:29PM
Kellogg's is to add vitamin D to its range of children's breakfast cereals including Coco Pops and Rice Krispies and is likely to revamp its packaging, in an effort to combat the rising number of children suffering rickets.
Scientists have linked the causes of rickets, which can cause weak bones and bowed legs, to a lack of vitamin D.
Kellogg's is increasingly trying to position itself as a champion of children's health after it has in the past been criticised for high levels of sugar and salt in its products.
Kellogg's introduced vitamin D into its flagship Kellogg’s Cornflakes brand earlier this year, and highlighted its introduction with a "flash-on-pack" label on the front of the cereal boxes.
Now it is adding vitamin D to Coco Pops and Rice Krispies and other children’s cereals, which is also expected to be accompanied by an overhaul of its packaging.
The move to introduce vitamin D is a response to medical studies, which shows that parents aren't aware of the importance of vitamin D.
One study carried out by consultant orthopaedic surgeon professor Nicholas Clarke revealed more than 20% of children checked for bone problems in his clinic had significant deficiencies.
Rickets is linked to a lack of vitamin D, which the body absorbs from spending time in the sun or eating foods such as eggs.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior copywriter story uk limited Negotiable depending on experience, Edinburgh
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- PPC Account Manager - Travel Ultimate Asset £30000 - £50000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, City of London
- Senior Account Director- CRM & Digital Dynamic New Alliances £55000.00 - £65000.00 per annum + benefits, London
- Ruby on Rails Developer - 30-40k London - Renowned Agency Red Sofa London £30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits, London