Kellogg's to add Vitamin D and overhaul packaging
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 28 October 2011 01:29PM
Kellogg's is to add vitamin D to its range of children's breakfast cereals including Coco Pops and Rice Krispies and is likely to revamp its packaging, in an effort to combat the rising number of children suffering rickets.
Scientists have linked the causes of rickets, which can cause weak bones and bowed legs, to a lack of vitamin D.
Kellogg's is increasingly trying to position itself as a champion of children's health after it has in the past been criticised for high levels of sugar and salt in its products.
Kellogg's introduced vitamin D into its flagship Kellogg’s Cornflakes brand earlier this year, and highlighted its introduction with a "flash-on-pack" label on the front of the cereal boxes.
Now it is adding vitamin D to Coco Pops and Rice Krispies and other children’s cereals, which is also expected to be accompanied by an overhaul of its packaging.
The move to introduce vitamin D is a response to medical studies, which shows that parents aren't aware of the importance of vitamin D.
One study carried out by consultant orthopaedic surgeon professor Nicholas Clarke revealed more than 20% of children checked for bone problems in his clinic had significant deficiencies.
Rickets is linked to a lack of vitamin D, which the body absorbs from spending time in the sun or eating foods such as eggs.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Dutch Speaking Marketing Manager Ninesharp £35000 per annum, West London
- Comms Account Manager - BEAUTY FMCG Ultimate Asset £32000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs