BT hires former Virgin Media exec to lead TV development
BT has appointed Virgin Media's former executive director Alex Green as TV commercial and product director, while BT Vision commercial director Andy Baker takes the role of chief executive of BT Wi-Fi.
Green will be charged with building BT Vision, the company's internet-connected TV service, and developing BT's involvement in the YouView internet-connected TV consortium, set to launch next year.
At Virgin Media, until late summer, Green was executive director, commercial, TV and online, responsible for the day-to-day TV business, including the implementation of its TiVo offering.
Prior to joining Virgin Media in February 2008, Green was director of digital publishing at regional publisher Johnston Press and is a former strategy director of News International.
BT Retail is moving its BT Openzone and customer Wi-Fi teams into one division, which will be led by Baker as chief executive. He has been charged with creating and maintaining points of difference for BT's Wi-Fi services.
Gavin Patterson, chief executive, BT Retail, said: "Alex has an excellent reputation and track record within the industry and he joins BT at a pivotal moment for our future television services.
"He has direct experience with Virgin Media of launching their next generation TV service, which will be a huge asset to BT as we embark on the transformation of our own TV services in the next year."
Green will start at BT next year. Patterson said he would also focus closely on "BT's entertainment offering and maximising the opportunities that the launch of services such as OnLive [online gaming] will bring to BT".
BT Vision signed up 41,000 subscribers in the third quarter, more than Sky for the first time since its launch in 2007. However, it still has only 638,000 customers to Sky's 10 million and Virgin's 3.5 million.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Information Security Analyst BIS Recruit up to £35,000 Bupa, Share Options, Free Beer and more, City of Westminster, London (Greater)
- New Business Manager Beyond The Book £30,000-£40,000 +bonus+car, Derbyshire / Leicestershire / Lincolnshire / Northamptonshire / Nottinghamshire
- Marketing Manager Nu Creative Talent £26500.00 - £33000.00 per annum + excellent benefits, Hertfordshire
- Midweight-Senior Creative Team Major Players £50000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account