Carat wins £28 million Gocompare.com media account
By Jeremy Lee, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 01 December 2011 08:00AM
Carat has landed the £28 million media planning and buying account for Gocompare.com, the price comparison website.
The agency pitched against the incumbent, MEC, UM London and Starcom MediaVest Group in a review process that began in September.
MEC had worked on the account since 2007 and appeared to have strengthened its position earlier this year when it won the online display advertising activity previously handled by Harvest Digital. Harvest continues to oversee the pay-per-click search business, which was not included in the review.
Gocompare.com focuses its above-the-line spend on TV advertising featuring the character Gio Compario, played by the Welsh opera singer Wynne Evans, who sings the Go Compare song.
The campaign was conceived by the husband-and-wife freelance creative team Chris Wilkins and Sian Vickers, and features Compario in various historical settings.
The most recent spot, created in-house, sees the brand character dropped into the Stone Age by a flying reptile and draws on comparisons with the Raquel Welch film One Million Years BC with two young women who have just invented the wheel. It sees him rocking out to the theme tune.
Other recent campaigns have seen Compario appear in the Regency and Egyptian periods, while he also appeared headless in a Halloween special.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- TV Account Executive- £26K Ultimate Asset £24000 - £26000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Dynamic New Alliances £34000.00 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Buyer Planner/Senior Buyer Planner Premier Media £22000 - £28000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sky Brand Manager - Brand Development Sky negotiable, Isleworth, London (Greater)
- Virgin Holidays launches digital Caribbean push
- Yahoo appoints Marc Bignell as head of trading for the EMEA region
- Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned for suggesting alcohol conquers boredom
- McCann picked to resurrect Homepride's Fred
- Radio Times: 50 years of Doctor Who covers
- McDonald's marks 40 years with charity ad