Tesco to bundle physical and digital film formats
Tesco Clubcard customers who buy a film on DVD or Blu-ray will also be able to watch it on a stream from the retailer's Blinkbox service for no additional cost.
Tesco bought a controlling stake in online video company Blinkbox for a seven-figure sum back in April.
After buying the physical film, customers will be able to view the film from their Blinkbox account at any time on multiple devices.
Richard Brasher, Tesco UK chief executive, said the innovation "will help start a digital revolution, combining the physical with the digital for the first time".
In order to take advantage of the service, customers need to link their Tesco Clubcard with a Blinkbox account.
After linking the accounts, any eligible film that is bought in the store will automatically appear in the customer’s Blinkbox video library.
Tomorrow's (2 December) much-anticipated DVD release of the final instalment of 'Harry Potter' will launch the bundling service.
Other films included in the service include 'The Hangover Part 2', 'Cars 2', 'The Lion King', 'The Smurfs' and 'Final Destination 5'.
Blinkbox is compatible with a PC, Mac, PS3, LG and Samsung Smart TV and will later be rolled out to the Xbox 360 and iPad.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Tesco kicks off Blinkbox pitch
- Blinkbox COO lays out platform ambitions
- MediaCom secures exclusive Blinkbox VoD ad inventory
- Tesco hit by fourth consecutive UK sales drop
- All About ... Online movie services
- Tesco rolls out free Wi-Fi nationwide in biggest stores
- Addressable TV ads don't interest big brands, claims BBH's Kershaw
- Tesco to launch Halo sanitary towels
- HMV launches online movie rental service
- Tesco adds brands in ecommerce fashion strategy
- Tesco buys IPTV service Blinkbox
- Managing Director - Equity potential DU Group £120,000 - £150,000, South Oxfordshire
- PPC Senior Account Manager : Top 20 Digital Agency Dylan Up to £40000, London
- Deputy Director of Marketing and Communications University of West England £54,827, Bristol
- Junior Digital Project Manager - Big Brand ADLIB GBP20000 - GBP25000 per annum, Wiltshire
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - Shopper Marketing - 5 month CONTRACT- £180-200 day rate - Central London Judi Patton going day rate, London
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Fans take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Twitter-powered tennis game
- Campaign Viral Chart: Samsung scores hat-trick in tech-heavy chart
- Jaguar readies global campaign for F-Type launch
- ITV and Channel 4 insist they will beat declining ad market
- EE adds Dare to agency roster to develop digital
A demographic portrait of Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook users
A useful study here from the ‘Pew Research Center’ taking a look at the demographic make-up of US social media users across Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook. No data on LinkedIn of Google+, but great stats all the same.