Tesco to bundle physical and digital film formats
Tesco Clubcard customers who buy a film on DVD or Blu-ray will also be able to watch it on a stream from the retailer's Blinkbox service for no additional cost.
Tesco bought a controlling stake in online video company Blinkbox for a seven-figure sum back in April.
After buying the physical film, customers will be able to view the film from their Blinkbox account at any time on multiple devices.
Richard Brasher, Tesco UK chief executive, said the innovation "will help start a digital revolution, combining the physical with the digital for the first time".
In order to take advantage of the service, customers need to link their Tesco Clubcard with a Blinkbox account.
After linking the accounts, any eligible film that is bought in the store will automatically appear in the customer’s Blinkbox video library.
Tomorrow's (2 December) much-anticipated DVD release of the final instalment of 'Harry Potter' will launch the bundling service.
Other films included in the service include 'The Hangover Part 2', 'Cars 2', 'The Lion King', 'The Smurfs' and 'Final Destination 5'.
Blinkbox is compatible with a PC, Mac, PS3, LG and Samsung Smart TV and will later be rolled out to the Xbox 360 and iPad.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Senior Digital Designer Creative Recruitment £50000 per annum, Berkshire
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show