Newspaper woes to dent UK adspend, predicts GroupM
WPP media buying operation GroupM has reduced its forecast for growth in UK adspend for this year from 1.5% to 0.7%, after projecting larger declines for newspapers.
At the time of its previous forecast in June GroupM was already predicting a tough year for print media, tipping national and regional newspapers for an 8.3% fall in adspend.
At the end of the year it has now revised that to an 11% drop, with nationals down from -4.1% to -6% and regionals down from -12.6% to -16%.
Other media are also suffering. Consumer magazines are now predicted to be down 6% instead of down 5% and cinema down by 5% instead of flat.
Outdoor's 2% rise has been crossed out and replaced by no growth.
On the positive side, GroupM now believes radio will be up 5% having previously predicted it would not experience growth.
TV is unchanged at 1.1% growth, while "interaction" (comprising online spend such as paid search, display and classified) has been bumped up from 10.3% to 10.5%.
For next year, GroupM believes the pace of online's growth will relent to 9.1%, while all other media will enjoy better prospects than this year.
Radio is forecast for another 5% up year, TV and cinema each for 3% growth, but outdoor will be out in front with 6%.
Newspaper and magazines' rate of decline will only slow however. The former will be down 5.3%, with nationals down 3.1% and regionals down 7.8%, while consumer magazines will be down 3%.
Overall growth in 2012 will come in at 3.2%.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Marketing Director Ball & Hoolahan £100,000 per annum, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Opportunity to Join the Blue Skies Agency Freelance Team Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £35000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Opportunity to join the Blue Skies Creative Team Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / Surrey
- Assistant Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £29,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film