One in six accessing internet via TV, research claims
Nearly one in six people access the internet via a television or device connected to their television, according to new research from Ipsos Media CT.
Ipsos gathered the data from a sample of 2,013 British adults, merging research from the two most recent editions of its quarterly Technology Tracker survey (April and July).
Methods of accessing the internet on a TV screen included internet-connected TVs, computers, games consoles and Blu-ray players – 83% of the sample owned this equipment, but only 16% used it to access the internet on a TV screen.
Eight per cent own an internet-connected TV, but only 3% use it to connect to the internet, while 80% own a computer, but only 4% use it to connect to the internet.
Games console owners (the definition covering Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360) are much more likely to connect – 42% of the sample own one and 14% have their TV connected to the internet through it.
Ipsos also produced a list of the online activities popular with the 16% of the survey who do connect to the internet via TV.
Online games and catch-up TV were jointly most popular, with 47% of people owning to doing these activities.
Online shopping attracted 20%, social networking 23% and video clips 27%.
The popularity of individual activities varied widely between different platforms.
For example, online shopping was most popular with computer users (38%) and catch-up TV was most popular with internet-connected TV users (63%).
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Senior Digital Designer Creative Recruitment £50000 per annum, Berkshire
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show