One in six accessing internet via TV, research claims
Nearly one in six people access the internet via a television or device connected to their television, according to new research from Ipsos Media CT.
Ipsos gathered the data from a sample of 2,013 British adults, merging research from the two most recent editions of its quarterly Technology Tracker survey (April and July).
Methods of accessing the internet on a TV screen included internet-connected TVs, computers, games consoles and Blu-ray players – 83% of the sample owned this equipment, but only 16% used it to access the internet on a TV screen.
Eight per cent own an internet-connected TV, but only 3% use it to connect to the internet, while 80% own a computer, but only 4% use it to connect to the internet.
Games console owners (the definition covering Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360) are much more likely to connect – 42% of the sample own one and 14% have their TV connected to the internet through it.
Ipsos also produced a list of the online activities popular with the 16% of the survey who do connect to the internet via TV.
Online games and catch-up TV were jointly most popular, with 47% of people owning to doing these activities.
Online shopping attracted 20%, social networking 23% and video clips 27%.
The popularity of individual activities varied widely between different platforms.
For example, online shopping was most popular with computer users (38%) and catch-up TV was most popular with internet-connected TV users (63%).
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Category and Brand Manager EMR £65000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Designer 4 Innovative Charity Zebra People £22000 - £28000 per annum, City of London
- Director of Marketing and Communications (maternity cover) Almeida Theatre circa £38,000 per annum dependent on experience, Islington, North London
- Market Research - Senior Position - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai- UAE
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'