Comet calls £17m advertising pitch
By Matt Williams, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 08 December 2011 08:00AM
Comet, the electrical retailer that was acquired last month by a private equity company, has called a review of its £17 million advertising account as it looks at new ways to revive its business fortunes.
The retailer has approached a number of advertising agencies as it bids to develop a new brand positioning.
A pitch will be held just after Christmas, with an appointment made soon after.
The successful agency will then immediately start work on a new brand campaign, which Comet intends to launch in the spring.
Euro RSCG London has been the incumbent on Comet’s advertising since February 2010 and the agency will repitch for the account.
It had launched a brand campaign that introduced the "come and play" positioning. The campaign included a series of TV ads that showed Comet employees devising new uses for various goods.
According to Nielsen, Comet spent £17 million on advertising in the 12 months leading up to the third quarter of this year.
However, the company has recently experienced a turbulent period in which revenues plunged by 22 per cent.
Last month, Comet’s owner, Kesa, was forced to sell the brand to two companies backed by OpCapita for £2. The buyers, Hailey Holdings and Hailey Acquisitions, have promised to keep Comet as a going concern for the next 18 months, although they could close some of its 250 stores.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Account Director - top agency in Leeds Perfect Marketing People To £45k, Bradford, West Yorkshire / Halifax, West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Huddersfield, W...
- In-store POS Activation Manager Brand Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + excellent benefits, Berkshire
- Senior Account Director - Healthcare Advertising Agency - Berkshire - £60k - £65k - NP100 Stonor £60k - £65k, Berkshire / Buckinghamshire / London (Greater) / Oxfordshire / Surrey
- Digital Marketing Executive - PPC/SEO - Agency - £30K Salt £25000 - £30000 per annum, London (West), London (Greater)