Govt invests in ad apprenticeships
By Jeremy Lee, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 08 December 2011 10:55AM
The IPA has helped to secure nearly £1 million of government funding to develop and promote an apprenticeship scheme for the creative industries.
Skillset, the skills council for the creative sector, was awarded the money and is expected to create up to 250 jobs for post-A level school-leavers in IPA member agencies over the next three years.
The IPA advised on the Skillset bid and participated in the pitch meeting to obtain the funds, which were made available by Vince Cable, the Business Secretary.
Meetings with IPA member agencies will start in January to create the framework for up to four apprenticeship schemes for the advertising sector, which will combine targeted training with on-the-job work experience in media, digital, direct marketing and creative agencies from September next year.
The trade body's involvement forms part of the agenda of its president, Nicola Mendelsohn, to attract talent from different backgrounds to the industry and develop better skills.
In November, the IPA held a seminar that focused on apprenticeships for over-16s that has resulted in 22 member agencies agreeing to take on junior apprentices.
Janet Hull, the director of marketing at the IPA, said: "When almost one million 16- to 24-year-olds are out of work, and when soaring university fees are discouraging even the brightest students from realising their full potential, the need for this apprenticeship scheme couldn't be more apparent."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Account Director - B2B and IT David Thatcher Recruitment £45-55k, West London, M40 Corridor
- Dealer consultant / regional marketing manager - automotive David Thatcher Recruitment c£35k + car, South Buckinghamshire
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show