Global Radio in stand-off with industry over DAB coverage
By Maisie McCabe, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 08 December 2011 10:40AM
Global Radio, the owner of the Heart and Capital networks, is refusing to carry the radio industry's latest campaign promoting digital radio, as the row over local DAB funding continues.
Last week, Digital Radio UK, the industry body charged with promoting digital radio, and the BBC launched a two-year, £10 million campaign by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roafe/Y&R to push digital platforms.
The campaign is running across BBC radio, stations owned by GMG Radio, Bauer Media, Absolute Radio and a range of digital broadcasters, as well as Guardian News & Media newspapers, Bauer Media-owned magazines and BBC TV.
Global Radio will not run the campaign in what is believed to be a stand against ongoing issues surrounding the roll-out of local DAB transmission to around 90 per cent of the coverage of FM.
It is the third time Global Radio has refused to carry a campaign promoting digital radio due to issues around local and regional DAB.
The industry is currently negotiating the terms of an agreement that will allocate the estimated £25 million cost of building the local transmitters between the commercial radio industry, the BBC and the Government.
Last month, the Global founder and executive president, Ashley Tabor, said he had spent "all year" raising the issue of coverage with the BBC without a resolution.
Both Global Radio and Digital Radio UK declined to comment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Strategy Director Lipton Fleming £80000 - £85000 per annum + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Client Sales Executive - Untapped, unlimited potential! Ultimate Asset £20000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, Camden, London (Greater)
- Agency Sales Account Manager Ultimate Asset £20000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, Camden, London (Greater)
- Freelance Designer / Creative Peas £200-£250 per day, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film