Sainsbury's wins battle with Tesco over freshness claims
By Matthew Chapman, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 14 December 2011 11:59AM
Tesco has been rapped by the advertising watchdog for misleadingly implying its lettuce was available to purchase within 24 hours of being picked.
The national press campaign, which ran in June, drew a complaint from rival Sainsbury's for stating: "Tesco British Iceberg. Goes from farm to store within 24 hours".
Small print on the ad, which was created by The Red Brick Road, stated: "Timings may on occasion vary due to unforeseen circumstances."
Tesco admitted to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) that not all lettuces within a batch would be delivered to store within 24 hours of being picked, due to the time taken to pick an entire field of lettuces.
The ASA ruled the transportation of lettuces from the field to store was a matter under Tesco's control and as a result, the supermarket was guilty of making misleading claims.
Tesco has been warned to not make misleading claims in the future and told not to reuse the campaign in its current form.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER / ACCOUNT DIRECTOR- PERMANENT & CONTRACT ROLES Royds Raphael £40K - £55K / £180-£250+DAY RATE, London
- Head Of Propositions Development Ball & Hoolahan £85,000 p.a, London (Greater)
- Brand Ambassador Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 p.a., South East England
- STRATEGIC ACCOUNT DIRECTOR for Brand Agency - CONTRACT & PERMANENT Royds Raphael Salary £60k-£70k - CONTRACT OR PERMANENT, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Branding Agency Royds Raphael £30k-£37k + neg + great bens!, London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- The man who made Grey matter
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- Heineken selects Publicis Worldwide to be lead global creative agency
- Programmatic adspend nears £1bn and doubles for mobile