Virgin Media scores with BBC Sport in time for the Olympics
Virgin Media customers will be able to watch BBC coverage of sports such as Formula 1, Wimbledon, Euro 2012 and the London 2012 Olympics on-demand, after a deal was agreed between Virgin Media and the BBC.
The deal means Virgin Media and the BBC are going to develop new applications and content for Virgin Media customers with a TiVo set top box allowing them to get access to interactive sports coverage through a new "red button" service.
A new BBC Sport app for Virgin Media's TiVo box will bring together all the live streams from the BBC's existing Red Button service and video streams on-demand and content from BBC Online.
Virgin Media was the first platform to offer the BBC’s on-demand service, the iPlayer, and BBC content is now fully integrated into the TiVo service so programmes can be found through search and the EPG.
The BBC Sport content will be accessible from the red button or through an app, which will sit alongside the BBC iPlayer and BBC News apps in the Apps and Games section of the platform.
Jane Weedon, controller of business development, BBC Future Media, said: "Having partnered with Virgin Media to bring BBC iPlayer to TV back in 2008, we have since brought a vastly-improved, fully-integrated experience of BBC iPlayer to Virgin Media's TiVo Service.
"With the addition of the BBC News app and enhanced BBC Sport services – all accessible via the Red Button – we plan to build on this partnership and continue to innovate in connected TV through 2012."
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Stunning Digital Director - Top Media Agency Ultimate Asset £60000 - £63000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Strategy Director Rare Selection Up to £80K + bonus, health, pension, Central London
- Digital Strategist - Growth & Innovation Consultancy Rare Selection Up to £50K + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Consultant - 2 vacancies Rare Selection £60 - £80K + 30% bonus, 8% pension, and excellent benefits, London