Starcom MediaVest Group scoops $600m global Novartis media
By Mark Banham, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 20 December 2011 11:42AM
Starcom MediaVest Group has rounded off the year by picking up the $600 million (£384 million) media account for drug giant Novartis from MEC.
The account, which includes over-the-counter medicines including Tixylix, Savlon and anti-smoking product Nicotinell, is worth £9m in the UK, according to Nielsen.
The global account is expected to be run from Starcom MediaVest Group’s London office. The Publicis-owned agency will take on the business in April.
In a statement, Novartis said: "After an extensive evaluation and careful consideration, we can confirm that Novartis has selected Starcom MediaVest Group (SMG) as our new global media agency. While we are not remaining with GroupM, we appreciate the relationship we have had with them over the past several years."
The review of the account kicked off in April this year. In October, the drug company shortlisted Starcom MediaVest Group and the incumbent, following the elimination of fellow shortlisted agency Initiative.
Novartis, which is headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, has three other businesses called Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Diagnostics, and Sandoz Generics, a global supplier of generic medicines that are produced after a popular medicine's patent has expired.
In 2008, Novartis consolidated its US media planning and buying into MEC after moving its business from sibling agency Mindshare in a global realignment.
Follow Mark Banham on Twitter @Banham72
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Junior Consultant (B2B) / Candidate Manager (PR) - Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £18000 - £23000 per annum, Benefits: Great bonus + benefits, Richmond upon Thames
- Director of Product Management Premier Consultants c. £120,000 plus benefits and bonus, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Director - FMCG - £65k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £60000 - £65000 per annum, Central London
- Marketing Manager - Award Winning ISP Zen Internet £37,000 to £42,000 + benefits, Rochdale, Greater Manchester
- Account Director - Retail - £45-55k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £45000 - £55000 per annum, Central London
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Haig Club launches David Beckham ad
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Blinkbox readies campaign to promote its cinema links
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith