Starcom MediaVest Group scoops $600m global Novartis media
By Mark Banham, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 20 December 2011 11:42AM
Starcom MediaVest Group has rounded off the year by picking up the $600 million (£384 million) media account for drug giant Novartis from MEC.
The account, which includes over-the-counter medicines including Tixylix, Savlon and anti-smoking product Nicotinell, is worth £9m in the UK, according to Nielsen.
The global account is expected to be run from Starcom MediaVest Group’s London office. The Publicis-owned agency will take on the business in April.
In a statement, Novartis said: "After an extensive evaluation and careful consideration, we can confirm that Novartis has selected Starcom MediaVest Group (SMG) as our new global media agency. While we are not remaining with GroupM, we appreciate the relationship we have had with them over the past several years."
The review of the account kicked off in April this year. In October, the drug company shortlisted Starcom MediaVest Group and the incumbent, following the elimination of fellow shortlisted agency Initiative.
Novartis, which is headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, has three other businesses called Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Diagnostics, and Sandoz Generics, a global supplier of generic medicines that are produced after a popular medicine's patent has expired.
In 2008, Novartis consolidated its US media planning and buying into MEC after moving its business from sibling agency Mindshare in a global realignment.
Follow Mark Banham on Twitter @Banham72
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- PR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits, London
- Digital Planner Buyer - Revolutionary Media Agency!! Ultimate Asset £22000 - £25000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits , City of London
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up
- 18 Feet & Rising wins Skoda digital brief