Supermarkets battle it out for Christmas shoppers
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 21 December 2011 01:15PM
Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's will compete on Boxing Day and New Year's Day for shoppers' wallets, while the major supermarkets try to outdo each other with ambitious job-creation plans for 2012.
Asda will open a record 391 superstores on Boxing Day and New Year's Day, in a move to meet consumers' seemingly relentless appetite for shopping despite the difficult economic climate.
Asda, headed by chief executive Andy Clarke, is also planning to create at least 5,000 jobs in 2012, a figure which has been matched by its rivals.
Rival Sainsbury's is planning to create 6,000 jobs next year and a total of 50,000 by 2020.
Sainsbury's will open 533 of its main stores and 386 convenience stores on New Year's Day. On Boxing Day, the retailer will open 383 main stores and 406 convenience stores.
Morrisons, meanwhile, is not opening any of its stores on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day, except for two of its convenience stores in Ilkley and Wilmslow.
Morrisons says it is creating 7,000 news jobs in 2012.
Tesco will open a number of stores on Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Mid-weight Designer with super cool boutique agency Dahling Ltd £28-35k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Mid-weight or Senior Conceptual Creative Team Dahling Ltd £30-45k or £60-90k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Junior Conceptual Creative or a Junior Creative team- TOP BOUTIQUE CREATIVE AGENCY!!!! Dahling Ltd £20-25k, London (East), London (Greater)
- Project Manager - Client Side - Blue Chip - CRM, Data, Backend Salt £35000 - £45000 per annum + + Benefits +75% off travel , London
- CREATIVE SERVICES MANAGER (Brand Guardian, Marketing, Strategy) Creative Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Surrey