Supermarkets battle it out for Christmas shoppers
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 21 December 2011 01:15PM
Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's will compete on Boxing Day and New Year's Day for shoppers' wallets, while the major supermarkets try to outdo each other with ambitious job-creation plans for 2012.
Asda will open a record 391 superstores on Boxing Day and New Year's Day, in a move to meet consumers' seemingly relentless appetite for shopping despite the difficult economic climate.
Asda, headed by chief executive Andy Clarke, is also planning to create at least 5,000 jobs in 2012, a figure which has been matched by its rivals.
Rival Sainsbury's is planning to create 6,000 jobs next year and a total of 50,000 by 2020.
Sainsbury's will open 533 of its main stores and 386 convenience stores on New Year's Day. On Boxing Day, the retailer will open 383 main stores and 406 convenience stores.
Morrisons, meanwhile, is not opening any of its stores on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day, except for two of its convenience stores in Ilkley and Wilmslow.
Morrisons says it is creating 7,000 news jobs in 2012.
Tesco will open a number of stores on Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Communications Manager - Contract - Leeds Ninesharp £140 - £150 per day, Leeds
- Sales Development Manager Adam Recruitment £33000 per annum, Cheshire
- Social Media Strategist Norton Leigh + Benefits, Central London
- Digital Performance Director Norton Leigh + Benefits, Central London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Tait replaces Papworth as W&K's ECD
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'