Supermarkets lure shoppers with January promotions blitz
Major retailers have launched a blitz of January promotions to lure customers into stores and turn around plunging consumer confidence.
The big four supermarkets are leading the push with Morrisons, Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's running January promotions.
Morrisons has launched a "Win Free Shopping This January" campaign that will give away free shopping to more than 15,000 customers each week throughout January.
Up to five customers in every store will win back the price of their shopping each day during the promotion period.
Customers need to enter the number of their receipt into the Morrisons website to find out if they have won, and can claim back the price of their shopping trip when they next visit the store.
Meanwhile, Sainsbury's and Asda are going head to head with promotions on electrical goods.
Sainsbury's is offering up to 60% off on hundreds of products, with one of the biggest savings including a half-price Sharp 40-inch 3D TV.
Asda's electrical push is called the 'January Event', and the retailer is also slashing prices on its George clothing line by increasing reductions to 70% off the original price.
Tesco is continuing its £500m investment into its Price Drop scheme, with a fresh round of price drops called the 'New Year's Price Drop', which is being advertised with a high-profile national press campaign.
Consumers are still struggling to regain confidence in the market, with the latest figures from the GfK NOP consumer confidence survey showing that confidence was down 10 points year on year in November.
Follow Matthew Chapman @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Conceptual Copywriter - Ambitious, Strategic Agency ADLIB DOE, Bristol
- Head of UK Marketing Communications Adam Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Manchester
- Associate Marketing Director (Global Education) - Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Company Benefits Package , Chichester, West Sussex
- Senior PR Account Executive AF Selection £22000 - £23000 per annum, Manchester
- Digital Project Manager. #WEBBUILDS #MOBILEAPPS #TABLETAPPS Creative Recruitment £35000 - £45000 per annum, Berkshire
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- The man who made Grey matter