Samsung fills vacant mobile marketing director role
By Matthew Chapman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 06 January 2012 01:40PM
Samsung UK & Ireland has filled the mobile marketing director vacancy left by Batyr Bulat's departure, with the appointment of Gareth Abel.
It emerged that former Unilever marketer Bulat was leaving in March last year after just three months in the role, for "personal reasons".
Abel will be responsible for the marketing and go-to-market strategy for all products within the mobile division and will report to Simon Stanford, managing director of Samsung Electronics telecommunications and networks division.
Abel's most recent role was as group marketing director at Abu Dhabi-based telecoms firm Etisalat, which he joined having previously worked at Orange Group for 10 years, most recently as devices marketing director.
His move comes after Samsung Electronics hired former Vodafone marketer Andrew Garrihy in August as marketing director for the UK and Ireland.
Garrihy was made responsible for all brand marketing across the entire Samsung business, which includes mobile, home appliances and computing
He reports directly to David Song, managing director for Samsung UK and Ireland.
The role was previously held by Mikah Martin-Cruz, who joined Samsung in August 2008 and went on to a pan-European role.
He left Samsung to join Microsoft in October 2010, becoming chief marketing officer of its UK consumer and online division.
The new appointments come ahead of a busy year for Samsung as it moves to build on the success of its Galaxy S2 smartphone and exploit its sponsorship of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The popularity of the Galaxy S2 helped the company overtake Apple as the world's biggest-selling smartphone maker.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- UX DESIGNER - (Creative, User Experience, Layout, Branding) Creative Recruitment £50000 - £55000 per annum + Negotiable, London
- Frontend Developer Digital Gurus £35000 - £60000 Per Annum Bonus and Benefits, London
- Brand Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits package, London
- Sales Manager- Travel - Programmatic Ultimate Asset £45000 - £55000 per annum + commission, benefits & shares!, London
- Middleweight Print Designer Major Players £22000 - £27000 per annum + Benefits package, London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Cannes 2015: Highlights from the Campaign beach party
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch