Samsung fills vacant mobile marketing director role
By Matthew Chapman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 06 January 2012 01:40PM
Samsung UK & Ireland has filled the mobile marketing director vacancy left by Batyr Bulat's departure, with the appointment of Gareth Abel.
It emerged that former Unilever marketer Bulat was leaving in March last year after just three months in the role, for "personal reasons".
Abel will be responsible for the marketing and go-to-market strategy for all products within the mobile division and will report to Simon Stanford, managing director of Samsung Electronics telecommunications and networks division.
Abel's most recent role was as group marketing director at Abu Dhabi-based telecoms firm Etisalat, which he joined having previously worked at Orange Group for 10 years, most recently as devices marketing director.
His move comes after Samsung Electronics hired former Vodafone marketer Andrew Garrihy in August as marketing director for the UK and Ireland.
Garrihy was made responsible for all brand marketing across the entire Samsung business, which includes mobile, home appliances and computing
He reports directly to David Song, managing director for Samsung UK and Ireland.
The role was previously held by Mikah Martin-Cruz, who joined Samsung in August 2008 and went on to a pan-European role.
He left Samsung to join Microsoft in October 2010, becoming chief marketing officer of its UK consumer and online division.
The new appointments come ahead of a busy year for Samsung as it moves to build on the success of its Galaxy S2 smartphone and exploit its sponsorship of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The popularity of the Galaxy S2 helped the company overtake Apple as the world's biggest-selling smartphone maker.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- ATG Functional Analyst/ATG Analyst/ATG Consultant AH Digital Pension. Life Assurance. Entitlement of 25 days' holiday per annum. Salary: £50,000 to £55,000, Theale, Reading
- AX Functional Analyst/Microsoft Dynamics Analyst/AX Analyst AH Digital Non contractual 10% bonus scheme. Life Assurance. 25 days' holiday per year. £35,000 - £50,000, Theale, Reading
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- Bosch secures sponsorship deal with Channel 4's Sunday Brunch