Huawei builds UK marketing team ahead of major consumer push
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 10 January 2012 01:20PM
Huawei, the Chinese telecoms giant, is boosting its marketing department with the appointment of Everything Everywhere's Jill Styring as its first UK marketing director for devices.
Styring joins later this month and will report to Mark Mitchinson, executive vice president, Huawei Device UK and Ireland, who joined the business from Samsung last year.
She will be responsible for leading the company's growing marketing team and implementing the company’s strategy to become a major smartphone brand in the UK.
Huawei has appointed Research in Motion's UK marketing specialist Duc Tinh Van Tri as its marketing manager, reporting into Styring. The brand has also recently appointed Craig MacLennan as marketing manager. He joins from LG, where he was European Marketing Manager.
Huawei started recruiting for its UK marketing office mid-last year, with Katherine Murray the first to join as device marketing manager. In September it hired IBM to help structure its internal marketing team.
In June last year, Marketing unveiled Huawei was looking for a London-based agency to help with a major consumer push. According to a spokesperson for the company it is still looking for an agency.
The company is plotting a major marketing push in the third quarter of this year, for its Ascend smartphone device, unveiled yesterday (9 January) at the Consumer Electronics Show and billed as "the world’s slimmest smartphone".
Other big Chinese companies looking to grow their consumer presence in the UK this year include tech giant Lenovo, sports brand Li-Ning and clothing brand Bosideng.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- SEO Account Manager Dot-Gap £35k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show