Huawei builds UK marketing team ahead of major consumer push
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 10 January 2012 01:20PM
Huawei, the Chinese telecoms giant, is boosting its marketing department with the appointment of Everything Everywhere's Jill Styring as its first UK marketing director for devices.
Styring joins later this month and will report to Mark Mitchinson, executive vice president, Huawei Device UK and Ireland, who joined the business from Samsung last year.
She will be responsible for leading the company's growing marketing team and implementing the company’s strategy to become a major smartphone brand in the UK.
Huawei has appointed Research in Motion's UK marketing specialist Duc Tinh Van Tri as its marketing manager, reporting into Styring. The brand has also recently appointed Craig MacLennan as marketing manager. He joins from LG, where he was European Marketing Manager.
Huawei started recruiting for its UK marketing office mid-last year, with Katherine Murray the first to join as device marketing manager. In September it hired IBM to help structure its internal marketing team.
In June last year, Marketing unveiled Huawei was looking for a London-based agency to help with a major consumer push. According to a spokesperson for the company it is still looking for an agency.
The company is plotting a major marketing push in the third quarter of this year, for its Ascend smartphone device, unveiled yesterday (9 January) at the Consumer Electronics Show and billed as "the world’s slimmest smartphone".
Other big Chinese companies looking to grow their consumer presence in the UK this year include tech giant Lenovo, sports brand Li-Ning and clothing brand Bosideng.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Junior Managing Director - Branded Content and Experiential Agency Bamboo Crowd £80000 - £90000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director / Senior Account Director - Innovative Advertising Agency Bamboo Crowd £55000 - £65000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up
- Sometimes collaboration, not innovation, can be the key to winning campaigns
- Virgin Trains spends £8 million on advertising to refocus on its brand
- WPP challenges Govt review