Channel 5 and MPG embroiled in trading dispute
Channel 5 is locked in a trading dispute with the Havas Media agency MPG Media Contacts.
The standoff means that advertising from MPG clients, which include Nationwide, Hyundai/Kia and EDF Energy, is not currently running on the broadcaster's channels.
Discussions between Channel 5, which is owned by Richard Desmond's Northern & Shell, and MPG are said to be ongoing. However, sources said that advertising from MPG clients is unlikely to return to the broadcaster's channels until March at least.
The sources suggest MPG and Channel 5, which is represented by its sales director, Nick Bampton, were unable to come to an agreement during the autumn trading season.
Otherwise, the 2012 deal season appears to have been relatively smooth with the remaining agency groups trading with the major four TV sales houses.
Sources close to Sky Media, Channel 4 and ITV each said they were satisfied with the terms of the deals they reached with media agencies.
The 2011 deal season was also notable for a lack of disputes, but a squeeze on margins at the start of 2010 led to ads from FMCG giants such as Unilever and Reckitt Benckiser being pulled from some broadcasters.
Channel 5 also experienced issues with Aegis Media in 2010 that resulted in a standoff for the first half of the year.
MPG and Channel 5 declined to comment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Head of Social Media - leading advertising agency The Great & The Good £50,000 to £60,000 per annum plus benefits, Beautiful offices in central London
- Global Digital Brand Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £45000.00 - £55000.00 per annum + other benefits , Slough
- Marketing & Communications Director Stopgap £70000 per annum, London
- Account Manager Lipton Fleming £28000 - £30000 per annum + Bonus , London
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart