Auto Trader drives on board Facebook Timeline
Auto Trader, the motoring classifieds business, has got among the first crop of apps for Facebook's new Timeline profile, with a plug-in that allows Facebook users to tell their friends about the cars they are lusting after.
Car fans who have activated Timeline on their Facebook account will be able to use the "want" social plug-in on the Auto Trader site to show their friends the car makes, models and new cars they would like to own.
The Auto Trader app will share a person's wants with their friends through the Facebook news feed and ticker, although users are able to control who the app shares information with.
Depending on the performance of the "want" button Auto Trader may consider adding "own" or "used to own" plug-ins in the future.
Facebook previewed Timeline at F8 in September when it unveiled its new wave of social apps from partners such as Spotify and The Guardian. Those apps were available to users with the old Facebook profile, but all new apps will only be available with Timeline.
Ian MacDonald, head of consumer marketing at Auto Trader, said: "The social web has made the traditional 'peer opinion' that influences peoples' buying behaviour more important than ever.
"Auto Trader's Facebook integration enables people to quickly canvas the opinion of their friends, discover new cars, and make their Timelines even more reflective of their lives and ambitions.
"We will have a real-time indication of how in-demand a particular car is via the volume of people indicating that they 'want' that car. We're delighted to be making buying new cars a more social activity via our New Cars website."
Auto Trader had already integrated Facebook into its site by allowing sellers' cars to be seen in the Facebook Marketplace.
Other apps that launched today (19 January) include a fashion app from social shopping site Lyst and a podcast and radio mix app from Mixcloud.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Head of Customer and Digital Transformation Spotlight Recruitment £80000 - £90000 per annum + 30% bonus and great benefits, London
- Senior Digital Creative/Designer Pitch Consultants £35000 - £55000 per annum + benefits, Leicestershire
- Junior Account Director, Retail, Manchester Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, Manchester
- Regional Marketing Manager Mortimer Spinks £37000 - £50000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, Milton Keynes
- HSBC uses emotive ad to relaunch bank account on Christmas Day
- Tetley launches ad with Tea Folk in middle of medieval battle
- Virgin Holidays encourages customers to 'flaunt it' in Christmas Day ad
- Top 10 most-viewed The Work
- US holiday campaign round-up 2014
- 'Creative' RFI requests are getting out of control