Walkers hands Gary Lineker fresh three-year deal
By Nick Batten, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 20 January 2012 01:25PM
Walkers crisps brand ambassador Gary Lineker has signed a new three-year contract, he revealed at the launch of the brand's 'What's That Flavour?' promotion last night.
The latest in a string of competitions gives members of the public the opportunity to win £50,000 if they can guess one of Walkers' three new mystery flavours that will hit shelves in stores across Britain on Monday (23 January).
Speaking at the launch party yesterday (19 January), Lineker told Marketing: "I've just signed a new three-year contract, which speaks for itself. I've had a fantastic relationship with them. It's been an amazing partnership and I think to be a part of anything that is successful in life is always a good thing."
Lineker first appeared in Walkers ads in 1995, making the partnership one of the longest-running in the world.
When asked about the flavours themselves, he remained tight-lipped: "I've been told by the guys at Walkers that I'm quite close guessing to one of them. I've tried to prize it out of some of them, but I can't find anyone who knows."
Marketing also interviewed Walkers marketing director Miranda Sambles, who stressed that while Lineker continued to be the figurehead, the brand works with other celebrities as well.
She said: "We love working with Gary. We've worked with him for many, many years. We also look to work with other celebrities to keep the campaigns fresh over time. The advert breaks on 10 February, but you will have to wait and see who else we've worked with on this one."
Sambles also said Walkers was using their tried-and-tested media and advertising companies to promote the 'What's That Flavour' competition.
She added: "We have long-standing ties with our advertising and media agencies. Companies like AMV, Freud Communications, OMD, TRA and MIG are companies that we have always used and intend on continuing to do so."
To enter the competition, participants should visit the Walkers website or Walker Facebook page and submit their guess online.
One winner will be drawn from all the correct entries for each of the mystery flavours. A series of clues will also be released later in the month on the Walkers Facebook page. The flavours will be revealed on 9 March.
Previous competitions include 'Do us a Flavour' in 2008-9, which got members of the public to send in ideas for a new crisp flavour.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- User Experience Design Lead Red Sofa London £60000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits , City of London
- Senior Planner Direct Recruitment £45- 70k + bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Diageo and BBH end 15-year relationship
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign