Nike launches Nike+ FuelBand
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 20 January 2012 01:25PM
Nike is launching a high-tech wristband, called Nike+ FuelBand, which helps people track their movement in sports and everyday activities.
Nike launched the wristband at a high-profile event in New York yesterday, which was attended by multiple Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and a number of Nike executives.
The wristband captures and displays four different metrics: time, calories, steps and NikeFuel – a proprietary technology that measures activity through the movement of the wrist.
Nike will begin selling the wristband in the UK on 1 May after its US launch on 22 February. It is priced in the US at $149 (equivalent to £96).
It is not clear what the UK price will be or what level of marketing support Nike will accord the wristband in the UK.
Nike has partnered with Apple to create a mobile app that will allow users of the wristband to compile data, which can then be shared with friends online.
At this point, the Nike+ FuelBand is only compatible with the Apple iPhone, but an Android app could soon be released.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Brand Strategist Network Career Consultants £33000 - £35000 per annum, City of London
- Content Director (Social Media) - Digital agency - Central London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment Up to £50,000, Central London
- Community Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Head of Retail Marketing Europe PSD Group Up to £90,000 + car allowance + bonus + benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Coco de Mer launches X-rated ad with Rankin and TBWA
- Campaign Viral Chart: Huggies 3D-printed ultrascan makes top spot
- Fallon introduces stuffed duck to launch Cadbury Puddles
- Betfair to call £15m European media review
- Dave Bedwood to leave M&C Saatchi
- Wonga rebrands as 'transparent and responsible' lender after hiring Fold7