Nike launches Nike+ FuelBand
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 20 January 2012 01:25PM
Nike is launching a high-tech wristband, called Nike+ FuelBand, which helps people track their movement in sports and everyday activities.
Nike launched the wristband at a high-profile event in New York yesterday, which was attended by multiple Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and a number of Nike executives.
The wristband captures and displays four different metrics: time, calories, steps and NikeFuel – a proprietary technology that measures activity through the movement of the wrist.
Nike will begin selling the wristband in the UK on 1 May after its US launch on 22 February. It is priced in the US at $149 (equivalent to £96).
It is not clear what the UK price will be or what level of marketing support Nike will accord the wristband in the UK.
Nike has partnered with Apple to create a mobile app that will allow users of the wristband to compile data, which can then be shared with friends online.
At this point, the Nike+ FuelBand is only compatible with the Apple iPhone, but an Android app could soon be released.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Shopper / Promotional Marketing Agency Stonor £30K + as a benchmark but depends on level of experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Account Director - Digital Agency - Oxfordshire - £45k - NP084 Stonor £45k, Berkshire / Buckinghamshire / Oxford, Oxfordshire
- Account Manager - Partnership Marketing Stonor £24k - £32k dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Sales Executive / Lead Generator Stonor Completely depends on level of experience - £25K - £45K, Berkshire / Hertfordshire / Amersham, Buckinghamshire / Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire / Watford, H...