Nike launches Nike+ FuelBand
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 20 January 2012 01:25PM
Nike is launching a high-tech wristband, called Nike+ FuelBand, which helps people track their movement in sports and everyday activities.
Nike launched the wristband at a high-profile event in New York yesterday, which was attended by multiple Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and a number of Nike executives.
The wristband captures and displays four different metrics: time, calories, steps and NikeFuel – a proprietary technology that measures activity through the movement of the wrist.
Nike will begin selling the wristband in the UK on 1 May after its US launch on 22 February. It is priced in the US at $149 (equivalent to £96).
It is not clear what the UK price will be or what level of marketing support Nike will accord the wristband in the UK.
Nike has partnered with Apple to create a mobile app that will allow users of the wristband to compile data, which can then be shared with friends online.
At this point, the Nike+ FuelBand is only compatible with the Apple iPhone, but an Android app could soon be released.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Biddable Account Manager (PPC / Social) - Independent Agency Silverdrum £35,000 + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Strategist - Fashion Brand Silverdrum £38,000 + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- EVENT PRODUCER - AGENCY Live Recruitment Negotiable, London
- SENIOR PLANNER - AGENCY - BRISTOL - £55K Salt £55000 per annum, Bristol
- BBC social media manager calls for brands to add value
- Dave Trott: Great advertising isn't just gimmicks
- WPP launches Xaxis Audio with Global
- Manning Gottlieb OMD, MediaCom and PHD head shortlist for 2015 Thinkbox TV Planning Awards
- Publicis Chemistry's CEO Mike Welsh exits
- Judges rail against 'sexed up' work at D&AD open sessions