Nike launches Nike+ FuelBand
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 20 January 2012 01:25PM
Nike is launching a high-tech wristband, called Nike+ FuelBand, which helps people track their movement in sports and everyday activities.
Nike launched the wristband at a high-profile event in New York yesterday, which was attended by multiple Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and a number of Nike executives.
The wristband captures and displays four different metrics: time, calories, steps and NikeFuel – a proprietary technology that measures activity through the movement of the wrist.
Nike will begin selling the wristband in the UK on 1 May after its US launch on 22 February. It is priced in the US at $149 (equivalent to £96).
It is not clear what the UK price will be or what level of marketing support Nike will accord the wristband in the UK.
Nike has partnered with Apple to create a mobile app that will allow users of the wristband to compile data, which can then be shared with friends online.
At this point, the Nike+ FuelBand is only compatible with the Apple iPhone, but an Android app could soon be released.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Recruitment Manager - Technical Development Team Propel £28000 - £90000 per annum, London
- Copywriter & Marketing Executive - Events, Integrated Marketing Live Recruitment £22000 - £27000 per annum, London
- PR Account Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £16000 - £20000 per annum, Warwickshire
- Recruitment Team Leader - Technology (Contract) Propel £35000 - £42000 per annum + OTE £80k, London
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- McDonald's launches 40th anniversary campaign
- Models strip in River Island's first TV campaign