Nike launches Nike+ FuelBand
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Friday, 20 January 2012 01:25PM
Nike is launching a high-tech wristband, called Nike+ FuelBand, which helps people track their movement in sports and everyday activities.
Nike launched the wristband at a high-profile event in New York yesterday, which was attended by multiple Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and a number of Nike executives.
The wristband captures and displays four different metrics: time, calories, steps and NikeFuel – a proprietary technology that measures activity through the movement of the wrist.
Nike will begin selling the wristband in the UK on 1 May after its US launch on 22 February. It is priced in the US at $149 (equivalent to £96).
It is not clear what the UK price will be or what level of marketing support Nike will accord the wristband in the UK.
Nike has partnered with Apple to create a mobile app that will allow users of the wristband to compile data, which can then be shared with friends online.
At this point, the Nike+ FuelBand is only compatible with the Apple iPhone, but an Android app could soon be released.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Junior Designer become £22-27K, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London (Greater), South East England
- Customer Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Director > ATL > TOP LONDON AGENCY collectivo £55,000 - £65,000, London
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Freeview launches singing toys campaign
- ASA bans 'strongly sexual' Giffgaff ad
- In pictures: Campaign Media Awards 2014
- Hammerson uses automated mechanical model to showcase Christmas gifts
- King backs new Candy Crush game with global ad push