Channel 4 poaches Global Radio's Ed Chalmers for top trading job
Ed Chalmers, the sales director at Global Radio, is to join Channel 4 as head of trading later this year.
It is understood that Chalmers will work at Global Radio for another six months.
Chalmers will be in charge of trading across the Channel 4 sales portfolio, which includes Channel 4, E4, More4, Film4, the Box TV music channels and UKTV’s portfolio of 10 channels and websites.
In his new role Chalmers will work alongside Damon Lafford, the incoming head of agency sales, and the still to be appointed second head of agency sales and head of digital and partnership innovation. He will report to sales director Jonathan Allan.
With 18 years experience in radio sales, Chalmers has worked at Global Radio and its predecessors Capital, Classic FM and GCap Media for his entire career. He was promoted to sales director of Global Radio in 2009.
Chalmers started his career in 1994 as an agency sales exec at Capital Radio before moving to Classic FM in 1998 to be a group head and then head of trading. He was head of agency sales at GCap Media from 2005 before becoming head of trading and national brands in 2006.
Mick Perry, formerly head of airtime sales at Channel 4, stepped down from his role in October, one month after Allan joined as sales director and as Gary Digby arrived to work with the broadcaster as a consultant.
Allan is currently in the final stages of a restructure of the commercial team at Channel 4, which led to the departure of three senior executives Mike Parker, Errol Baran and David Charlesworth.
The new structure divides the Channel 4 sales team into six multidisciplinary agency facing groups which will be led by an ‘agency principal’ who has full profit and loss accountability for the group.
An internal email from Mike Gordon, managing director of commercial at Global Radio, read:
I wanted to you let you know personally, that despite all my best endeavours to persuade him otherwise, Ed Chalmers has decided to leave Global Radio to take up the position of Head of Trading at Channel 4.
Having worked in the radio business for 18 years, the last 4 at Global, he felt that it was about time to transfer his skills to another medium and move onto pastures new.
We all wish him well and the very best of luck for the future.
Ed will be with us for another 6 months, and his replacement will be announced in due course.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Research Director - Consumer Tech Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...
- Head of Marketing The RSA Circa £60,000 per annum (commensurate with skills and experience) + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Pharma / Healthcare Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...
- Senior Consultant - Marketing Strategy Trace c. £60k, South East England / London (Greater) / Surrey / London (West), London (Greater) / Twickenham, Lo...
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Yahoo hosts exclusive X-Men: Days of Future Past films