Surf signs Towie sponsorship deal
the Unilever-owned washing brand Surf is to sponsor ITV2's 'The Only Way is Essex' throughout 2012 in a seven-figure multimedia deal spanning broadcast, online and mobile.
The sponsorship, negotiated by WPP agency Mindshare, is the first part of a £5m marketing push for the Surf brand and will be followed by a number of new marketing initiatives and product announcements later in the year.
The Bafta-winning 'The Only Way is Essex', or 'Towie', is one of the biggest shows on ITV2 and its third series last autumn had an average of 1.8 million viewers and peaked at 2.2 million, against a slot average of between 700,000 and 800,000.
This is the first time a brand has committed to 'Towie' for an entire year. Previous sponsors (Sony PlayStation DanceStar, lip care brand Cymex and Wink Bingo) signed up for one series each.
Clare Logan, brand manager for Surf, said: "As a brand we are always looking for new and exciting ways to reach our target market, so we’re thrilled to be sponsoring such a popular TV programme that really speaks to our target audience."
The idents for the sponsorship have been created by Signal TV and Surf plans to expand the sponsorship online, details of which will be announced in due course.
Logan said: "We've designed the creative to reflect the personality of the TV show and the 'delightfulness' of the Surf brand. We hope viewers really enjoy watching them."
The Surf sponsorship follows activity for a number of Unilever brands including Flora pro.activ's sponsorship of ITV’s mystery dramas, including 'Scott and Bailey', 'Whitechapel' and 'Poirot'.
Jon Smale, group sales controller at ITV, said: "'Towie' has proven appeal and the show provides a unique opportunity for brand activation in a tremendous environment.
"I am delighted that we have secured Surf as our sponsor, one of a number of exciting partnerships with Unilever brands in 2012, and we look forward to working with them to activate a great cross platform partnership."
The new season of 'The Only Way is Essex' starts on Sunday (29 January).
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- PR and Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- PR Account Director, Entertainment/Broadcast, £40k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 per annum, London
- SENIOR CREATIVE LEAD - LUXURY ONLINE BRAND Success Digital £40000 - £48000 per annum, London
- Digital Project Manager / Business Analyst - Client Side Salt £35000 - £50000 per annum + + Benefits , London
- Digital Resourcer Creative Recruitment £16000 - £18000 per annum + OTE £20k, City of London
- Anti-slavery charity creates '12 Years a Slave' tactical ad after Oscar win
- Cobra introduces bra-making brewer 'The Boss'
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- Hooch appoints More and MJ Media for Keith Lemon campaign
- Birds Eye kicks off £60m pan-Euro campaign
- Will content kill traditional ad models?