Tesco boosts Clubcard with Virgin Atlantic partnership
Tesco is bolstering its Clubcard loyalty scheme by partnering with Virgin Atlantic to allow customers to exchange Clubcard points for Flying Club miles.
The deal adds to the pre-existing partnership Tesco has with British Airways and Iberia through the Avios loyalty programme, which was previously known as Airmiles before a rebrand in September.
The tie-up with Virgin means customers earn 2.5 miles per £1 spent in-store or online at Tesco Direct or Tesco.com.
They will also be able to collect Flying Club miles when buying fuel from Tesco Fuel.
Clubcard points are not available for all products bought in Tesco and exclude tobacco, lottery tickets, infant formulae milk, Esso fuel, in-store concessions and some Tesco bank products.
Points can be redeemed online at a microsite for Virgin Atlantic's Flying Club, which is handled by Gyro.
Tesco's partnership with Avios allows customers to redeem 600 Avios points against £2.50 worth of Clubcard vouchers.
The rebrand to Avios as a result of the British Airways merger with Iberia stirred controversy because it coincided with a change to the terms and conditions.
As a result of the rebrand, the number of points needed to fly to different destinations changed, with some routes needing more points than previously required.
A change in terms and conditions also means Avios points not earned or redeemed in 36 months will expire.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Internal Communications Officer fishtank £27000 - £31600 per annum, Somerset
- Account Director Pitch Consultants £40000 - £48000 per annum, Liverpool
- Head of Research and Insight Pitch Consultants £25000 - £35000 per annum, Liverpool
- Brand Marketing Manager Source £40000 - £55000 per annum, London
- Age UK launches 'no friends' ads in response to Facebook campaign
- Fold7 splits with Gocompare.com amid talk of Gio Compario's return
- Pizza Hut launches Classic Crust with TV campaign
- Lurpak rolls out jazz teaser by Juan Cabral
- Kate Robertson steps down from Havas
- Ronseal claims to ditch 'does exactly what it says on the tin' strapline