Unilever ups ad and promotional spend by £124m
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Thursday, 02 February 2012 01:35PM
Unilever, the owner of brands including Ben & Jerry's and Flora, said it spent an extra €150m (£124m) on advertising and promotions in 2011, to make a total of €6.2bn (£5.13bn)
Unilever is the world's second-biggest maker of branded household products, by sales, behind Proctor & Gamble.
The Anglo-Dutch firm today (2 February) reported net profits up 1% from €4.59bn (£3.8bn) to €4.62bn (£3.83) in 2011, helped by sales growth in emerging markets.
However, it remained cautious about the outlook for the future.
Unilever said its performance in western Europe, including the UK, was hit by an increase in prices, particularly across its spreads, which include household brands Flora and Stork.
Unilever's bottom line was hit by €612m (£506m) in restructuring costs, and the €234m (£194m) paid out in a one-off cost relating to Unilever's acquisition of Sara Lee's personal care division and US group Alberto Culver, the company behind beauty brands Simple and VO5.
Some of Unilever's high-profile campaigns in 2011 included an advertising campaign supporting Radox Spa, a brand extension of its Radox personal care brand; a Unilever corporate branded Facebook page, and a Marmite ‘Love/Hate’ campaign.
Unilever is facing a challenging time in more mature economies, as consumers tighten their belts amid a difficult economy.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Marketing Executive or Marketing Manager air recruitment £28k-£35k dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- B2B Lead Generation Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £20000 - £40000 per annum + Uncapped Commission, London
- Out of Home Sales - Huge digital potential! Ultimate Asset £20000 - £75000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Planning Manager - Unique Opportunity! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits, London
- Comms Manager - Top 5 global media agency - GAMING ACCOUNT Ultimate Asset £4000 - £35000 per annum, City of London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- The man who made Grey matter
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- Heineken selects Publicis Worldwide to be lead global creative agency
- Yorkshire Tea launches £5 million campaign