Digital growth leads Q4 outdoor revenues up 1.4%
Outdoor ad revenues rose by 1.4% year on year in the final quarter of 2011, led by growth at some of the smaller digital media owners, according to figures from the Outdoor Media Centre.
Between October and December 2011, outdoor ad revenues in the UK totalled £256.4m. Revenues increased 1% on 2010 to £886.3m in 2011.
Total revenues were boosted by the digital outdoor sector, which recorded its highest ever ad haul for a quarter in Q4 2011.
The sector attracted £39.3m in the three months, up 28% compared to the last quarter of 2010.
It is understood that a significant proportion of the overall revenue gain came from the digital outdoor sector and some of the smaller digitally focused players fared better than the more established media owners.
According to The Nielsen Company, the top 10 advertisers in the quarter were BSkyB, Vodafone, Warner Bros, Tesco, Coca Cola, Universal Pictures, Everything Everywhere, Vauxhall, Paramount Pictures and E1 Entertainment.
Mike Baker, chief executive of the OMC, said: "Despite the economic gloom, we have ended the year with some momentum, and seven out of the last eight quarters have shown growth. This past quarter is very close to being the biggest outdoor quarter ever."
The categories of advertiser that spent more on outdoor advertising in the final quarter of 2011 than they did the previous year included drink, entertainment, motors, retail, finance, clothing and cosmetics.
The OMC has four council members (JCDecaux, Clear Channel Outdoor, CBS Outdoor and Primesight) and around 30 associate members (including Ocean Outdoor, Admedia, Limited Space and Amscreen).
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Global Omnichannel Marketing Analytics Leader Recruitment Revolution £25,000 to £35,000 + 10% bonus + pension, Brighton, East Sussex
- Community Marketing Coordinator - Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Company Benefits Package , Oxford, Oxfordshire
- Advertising Technology Executive - Media Owner (Music & Ents) Silverdrum Up to £35,000 + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing/Account Executive Brand Recruitment £15000 - £25000 per annum + plus benefits, Cambridge
- BBC social media manager calls for brands to add value
- Dave Trott: Great advertising isn't just gimmicks
- Digital surge drives UK advertising's fastest growth for four years
- Johnny Fearless closes after client departure
- Google aims to hold brands' hands with 'programmatic playbook'
- WPP launches Xaxis Audio with Global