Record number of Americans tune in to Super Bowl
By Daniel Farey-Jones, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 07 February 2012 09:30AM
The Super Bowl's habit of setting viewing records continues (just) with 111.3 million viewers making this year's sporting showdown the most viewed television programme in US TV history.
According to The Nielsen Company, the Super Bowl TV audience on the NBC network history was slightly higher than last year's 111 million viewers.
The size of the Super Bowl's audience has now increased for seven years in a row, with a 23% boost since 2006, when 90.7 million tuned in.
The record for the most watched show in the US was held by the final episode of 'Mash' in 1983 with 106 million viewers, until the 2010 Super Bowl, which attracted 106.5 million.
NBC sold seventy ad spots for an average of $3.5m each, which is the highest average cost for a Super Bowl ad to date.
Brands running ads included Honda, Pepsi, Doritos, Chrysler and Samsung.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
|Super Bowl Audience Figures|
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- New Product Development Assistant Ball & Hoolahan £competitive salary and Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Strategic Marketing Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £50,000-£60,000 + Benefits , Southampton, Hampshire
- Art Director - Integrated Marketing Agency - West London - £40k - NP198 Stonor £40k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager, FMCG, Richmond Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £48000 per annum, Benefits: +Fantastic benefits, Richmond upon Thames
- Online Analytics Manager, Telecoms, Slough Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £65000 per annum, Benefits: +Fantastic benefits, Slough