Google releases Chrome for mobile
By Sarah Shearman, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 08 February 2012 11:45AM
Google has launched a smartphone and tablet version of Chrome for Android devices, to boost the browser's growing popularity around the world.
Chrome for Android, which is in beta, is only available for the latest version of the operating system, dubbed "Ice-cream Sandwich".
Sundar Pichai, senior vice president for Chrome and apps at Google, wrote on the company's blog that like the Chrome for desktop, the mobile version is focused on "speed and simplicity".
It also enables users to sync the browser across various devices, access tabs and sync bookmarks. Users can also swipe through web pages using touch-screen technology.
Google Chrome launched in 2008. During the past year Google has heavily marketed the product to consumers.
At the end of 2011, Chrome overtook Firefox, to take the second-highest market share of browsers globally, at 25.69%, according to StatCounter estimates.
Microsoft Internet Explorer is still the most popular browser, with an estimated 50% market share.
Last month, Google chose to demote Chrome in its own search rankings, after it was found to be flouting its own Webmaster rules about using external links in a sponsored blog campaign.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Project Manager - fab design, digital + events agency, EC1, £35 Gabriele Skelton £35000 per annum, London
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show