News International picks WPP to handle £28 million ad account
By Campaign staff, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 09 February 2012 08:00AM
The ties between Rupert Murdoch's News International and Sir Martin Sorrell's WPP are set to strengthen following NI's decision to award its £28 million advertising business to the holding company.
NI has asked WPP to put together Team News, a multi-disciplinary unit bringing together the best talent from across its agencies.
Team News is expected to be created after a pitch process involving WPP ad agencies. Sources suggested CHI & Partners, the incumbent on The Times creative account, Grey London and Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R had been invited to pitch.
Katie Vanneck-Smith, the chief marketing officer at NI, said: "We haven’t finalised the brief yet, but we are looking at a closed pitch within WPP group."
WPP had been selected, according to Vanneck-Smith, due to "the long history of relationship" with NI.
As a result, WCRS will lose the £12 million ad account for The Sun. WPP’s Mindshare handles media for NI and the publisher is expected to keep its media account within WPP as part of the Team News deal in a bid to create efficiencies and savings.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Luxury Designer become £ - Negotiable, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London
- Assistant Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £30,000 per annum, London