News International picks WPP to handle £28 million ad account
By Campaign staff, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 09 February 2012 08:00AM
The ties between Rupert Murdoch's News International and Sir Martin Sorrell's WPP are set to strengthen following NI's decision to award its £28 million advertising business to the holding company.
NI has asked WPP to put together Team News, a multi-disciplinary unit bringing together the best talent from across its agencies.
Team News is expected to be created after a pitch process involving WPP ad agencies. Sources suggested CHI & Partners, the incumbent on The Times creative account, Grey London and Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R had been invited to pitch.
Katie Vanneck-Smith, the chief marketing officer at NI, said: "We haven’t finalised the brief yet, but we are looking at a closed pitch within WPP group."
WPP had been selected, according to Vanneck-Smith, due to "the long history of relationship" with NI.
As a result, WCRS will lose the £12 million ad account for The Sun. WPP’s Mindshare handles media for NI and the publisher is expected to keep its media account within WPP as part of the Team News deal in a bid to create efficiencies and savings.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Planner - Charity / DM - Award-winning London agency - to £35k Fill Recruitment £35k plus superb benefits and bonus opportunity!, London (Greater)
- Freelance Account Manager/ Senior Account Manager Prospect Resourcing Ltd £150 - £200 per day, London (Greater)
- Digital Creative Director - (Copy) £75,000 London EC2 Mark Paine Recruitment to £75,000 plus benefits, EC2A 1AE, London (Greater)
- SEO Manager - Client-side! Leading UK Lifestyle Publisher! Ultimate Asset £45000 per annum, Hammersmith and Fulham
- Sales Manager - Video, Mobile & TV plus some management Ultimate Asset £38000 - £45000 per annum + commission & benefits, London
- WPP, Daily Mail and SnapChat launch content agency Truffle Pig
- Will.i.am clashes with Martin Sorrell over online ads in Cannes
- UK agencies win 7 Media Lions
- Twitter to embrace power of TV in UK ad campaign
- Martin Sorrell on the mega-media reviews: 'We can't remember anything like this'
- Aston Martin appoints WPP to global marketing account