Google to launch 'own-brand entertainment hardware'
Google is developing an own-brand, home-entertainment system that streams music wirelessly through the home, according to reports.
The launch of such a device would mark the first time Google has designed and marketed a consumer electronic device under the Google brand.
Google has declined to comment on the speculation that was kicked off by a Wall Street Journal story.
News of the device is based on a filing with the Federal Communications Commission, with testing due to take place in Google's Mountain View headquarters in California and three other cities.
Up until now, Google's forays into hardware have been restricted to opening up its Android mobile operating system to mobile manufacturers, and the launch of its Google TV platform, which is being made available on LG and Sony devices.
News of the rumoured home-entertainment system comes after Google agreed to buy mobile phone business Mobile Mobility in August for $12.5bn (£7.7bn) in order to boost its hardware capabilities.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Retail Store Designer Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £33000 per annum + bonus and benefits, London
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show