Mars UK to enforce 'calorie cap' across chocolate lines
Mars UK is embarking on a major calorie-reduction programme to bring the products in its chocolate range down to 250 calories or less.
While several of its bars already fall within this range, the Mars and Snickers bars, at 260 and 296 calories respectively, will be affected by the initiative.
Two-finger bars such as Bounty and Twix are likely to be defined as a double serving to meet the commitment.
A spokesman for Mars said: "All our products can be enjoyed as part of a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet. Our commitment to making all our chocolate products no more than 250 calories per portion reflects this."
It is unclear whether this will be achieved by reformulation, smaller products or a combination of the two.
Late last year, Health Secretary Andrew Lansley unveiled plans to take five billion calories from the nation's daily diet by 2020.
The Public Health Responsibility Deal, launched a year ago next month, has turned its focus on calorie reduction; it is rumoured that a pledge on this matter is being drawn up.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Marketing Communications Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £28000 per annum, Worcester
- Design Director - Brand Design and Packaging Agency - London - £55k - £60k - NP143 Stonor £55k - £60k, London (Greater)
- Traffic Planning Manager Premier Consultants c. £40,000 plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- PR Account Manager / Senior Account Manager Network Career Consultants £30000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Johnnie Walker calls global ad review
- Adam & Eve/DDB wins 2014 IPA Effectiveness Awards Grand Prix
- Enjoyed getting an hour back on Sunday? You'll get years back if you stop smoking, says charity
- Tiffany & Co hires MEC for $100m global media
- Mattessons Fridge Raiders campaign delivers AI robot to YouTube gamer
- Lloyds reviews media planning and buying