Peer recommendations 'improve ad recall'
By Gemma Charles, brandrepublic.com, Friday, 17 February 2012 11:30AM
Consumers are more likely to recall a brand name and engage with an ad's message if it has been recommended to them by their friends online, according to new research commissioned by social video platform Unruly.
The survey, conducted by Decipher Research, aimed to measure the effectiveness of social video advertising.
It surveyed online video viewers aged between 18 and 34, across four social video campaigns from FMCG brands Guinness, Coca-Cola, Unilever’s Cornetto and Energizer Batteries, from July to November 2011.
Across its sample size of 976 respondents, it found that 73% of respondents who viewed a recommended video recalled the brand when prompted, versus 68% of viewers who had gone directly to the video.
It also found a 14% increase in the number of people who enjoyed the video following a recommendation, versus those who had discovered it by browsing.
Sarah Wood, Unruly chief operating officer, said: "Social video is a powerful format for engaging consumers. If a brand creates great video content and makes it easy to share, it will see impressive results across the entire purchase funnel."
The work forms part of a white paper titled "Social Ad Effectiveness: An Unruly Whitepaper".
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Senior Planner Direct Recruitment £60,000 - £80,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Planning Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 - £100,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Planner Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Planner / Senior Digital Planner Direct Recruitment £50,000 - £70,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Virgin Holidays launches digital Caribbean push
- Yahoo appoints Marc Bignell as head of trading for the EMEA region
- Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned for suggesting alcohol conquers boredom
- McCann picked to resurrect Homepride's Fred
- Radio Times: 50 years of Doctor Who covers
- McDonald's marks 40 years with charity ad