Peer recommendations 'improve ad recall'
By Gemma Charles, brandrepublic.com, Friday, 17 February 2012 11:30AM
Consumers are more likely to recall a brand name and engage with an ad's message if it has been recommended to them by their friends online, according to new research commissioned by social video platform Unruly.
The survey, conducted by Decipher Research, aimed to measure the effectiveness of social video advertising.
It surveyed online video viewers aged between 18 and 34, across four social video campaigns from FMCG brands Guinness, Coca-Cola, Unilever’s Cornetto and Energizer Batteries, from July to November 2011.
Across its sample size of 976 respondents, it found that 73% of respondents who viewed a recommended video recalled the brand when prompted, versus 68% of viewers who had gone directly to the video.
It also found a 14% increase in the number of people who enjoyed the video following a recommendation, versus those who had discovered it by browsing.
Sarah Wood, Unruly chief operating officer, said: "Social video is a powerful format for engaging consumers. If a brand creates great video content and makes it easy to share, it will see impressive results across the entire purchase funnel."
The work forms part of a white paper titled "Social Ad Effectiveness: An Unruly Whitepaper".
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Field Manager - Experiential Agency - up to £34k Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £34k, west london
- Senior Account Director/Group Account Director Twist Recruitment £48000.00 - £65000.00 per annum + great benefits, City of London
- Digital Lead with Integrated Agency Gemini Search £60000 - £75000 per annum, City of London
- Product Manager - Global Automotive Giant - Berkshire Ninesharp £40000 - £50000 per annum + Great Benefits and Brand Car, Slough
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- McDonald's launches 40th anniversary campaign
- TalkTalk to launch user-generated X Factor idents
- Celebrity Cruises opts for Goodstuff
- Watch Harvey Keitel's Wolf bark again in new Direct Line ads