Peer recommendations 'improve ad recall'
By Gemma Charles, brandrepublic.com, Friday, 17 February 2012 11:30AM
Consumers are more likely to recall a brand name and engage with an ad's message if it has been recommended to them by their friends online, according to new research commissioned by social video platform Unruly.
The survey, conducted by Decipher Research, aimed to measure the effectiveness of social video advertising.
It surveyed online video viewers aged between 18 and 34, across four social video campaigns from FMCG brands Guinness, Coca-Cola, Unilever’s Cornetto and Energizer Batteries, from July to November 2011.
Across its sample size of 976 respondents, it found that 73% of respondents who viewed a recommended video recalled the brand when prompted, versus 68% of viewers who had gone directly to the video.
It also found a 14% increase in the number of people who enjoyed the video following a recommendation, versus those who had discovered it by browsing.
Sarah Wood, Unruly chief operating officer, said: "Social video is a powerful format for engaging consumers. If a brand creates great video content and makes it easy to share, it will see impressive results across the entire purchase funnel."
The work forms part of a white paper titled "Social Ad Effectiveness: An Unruly Whitepaper".
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Senior Account Director > ATL > TOP LONDON AGENCY collectivo £55,000 - £65,000, London
- planner > HUGE opportunity > BRAVE client collectivo Up to £60,000 + benefits, London (Greater)
- Foodie Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Project Manager (senior) Corporate Communications Recruitment circa £55k, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Consultant Corporate Communications Recruitment £70-£80k base plus bonus and package, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham