BSkyB ad banned for misleading 'just for you' line
By Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 22 February 2012 09:10AM
BSkyB has had an ad for its movie channels and broadband service banned by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) for misleading consumers, after the ad sparked more than 80 complaints.
The Brothers and Sisters-created TV ad, which aired on 22 November last year, said: "Welcome to the world of better offers. If you've got Sky Movies 1 and 2 with Sky's unlimited broadband, then this offer is just for you. Enjoy a free wireless connector for your Sky+HD box so you can access Anytime+ and enjoy movies whenever you want."
On-screen text for the ad said: "New Anytime customers only. Compatible Sky+HD box, Sky Talk and Sky line rental required."
The ad received 86 complaints from consumers, claiming that the condition for the deal, which was only for new Anytime customers, was not clearly enough stated.
Sky responded to the complaints stating that it did not believe the ad was misleading and that it had appropriately qualified the conditions of the offer, which broadcasting regulator Clearcast agreed with.
The ASA agreed with the initial qualifying text on the screen, but said the line, "If you've got Sky Movies 1 and 2 with Sky's unlimited broadband, then this offer is just for you", implied the offer was open to a broader range of Sky customers, and it banned the ad.
In November last year, BSkyB successfully petitioned the ASA to have a direct mail ad campaign, run by rival Virgin Media, banned, because it was not obviously identifiable as a marketing communication.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @LoullaMae_ES
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Propositions Manager Bupa Competitive + bonus, Staines
- Campaign Operations Manager News UK Competitive, City of London
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers