Facebook rolls out mobile ads and premium formats
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Thursday, 01 March 2012 09:56AM
Facebook is introducing mobile ads for the first time, as well as premium-rich media formats, to drive up ad revenue ahead of its blockbuster IPO.
The new premium ad formats enable brands to include video and coupons in their ads and will appear in a user's timeline.
The changes mean that for the first time, Facebook's premium ads and Sponsored Stories will appear on the social network's log-out page and on its mobile app.
The mobile ads will appear in a user's timeline, in a similar way to Twitter's recently announced mobile ad changes.
They are available now for Android and iPhone in the US, and will roll out to other countries in coming months.
Carolyn Everson, vice-president of global marketing solutions at Facebook, announced the changes during the company’s inaugural Facebook Marketers Conference in the US last night.
Facebook hosted more than 1,000 individuals from the marketing industry at the event. As well as talks from the company's top brass, including chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg, it treated guests to an after party with a performance from Alicia Keys.
Prior to the event yesterday, a number of brands, including Burberry, Coca-Cola and Manchester United, rolled out new updates to their brand pages, which include a timeline.
The pages are free to set up and so the new ad formats, announced shortly afterwards, signal Facebook's intend to drive revenue from brands which use the site as a marketing tool.
The majority of Facebook’s revenue comes from advertising. When the company filed for an IPO last month, it revealed that its advertising accounted for 85% of its $3.7bn (£2.3bn) total revenues last year.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- POS Marketing Manager Ninesharp Ã‚£180 - Ã‚£200 per day, Watford
- FREELANCE Account Director - BTL / Promotions - European role - to £50k pro rata - 1 YR Contract Fill Recruitment to £50k pro rata, plus bonus and superb benefits., London (Greater)
- Digital Insight Manager, FMCG Jarlett de Grouchy Ã‚£48000 - Ã‚£60000 per annum + car allowance and bonus, Berkshire
- Global Business Intelligence Analyst- FMCG Jarlett de Grouchy Ã‚£33000.00 - Ã‚£38000.00 per annum + car allowance+ bonus, Berkshire
- VISUAL DESIGNER - LONDON - Ã‚£35-45K + SHARES + BENEFITS Salt Ã‚£35000 - Ã‚£45000 per annum + Shares + Benefits, London
- Freeview launches singing toys campaign
- In pictures: Campaign Media Awards 2014
- King backs new Candy Crush game with global ad push
- Campaign Viral Chart: Sainsbury's Christmas ad tops the table
- Sainsbury's calls £60 million media review
- Brands use social media to congratulate F1 champion Lewis Hamilton