Facebook rolls out mobile ads and premium formats
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Thursday, 01 March 2012 09:56AM
Facebook is introducing mobile ads for the first time, as well as premium-rich media formats, to drive up ad revenue ahead of its blockbuster IPO.
The new premium ad formats enable brands to include video and coupons in their ads and will appear in a user's timeline.
The changes mean that for the first time, Facebook's premium ads and Sponsored Stories will appear on the social network's log-out page and on its mobile app.
The mobile ads will appear in a user's timeline, in a similar way to Twitter's recently announced mobile ad changes.
They are available now for Android and iPhone in the US, and will roll out to other countries in coming months.
Carolyn Everson, vice-president of global marketing solutions at Facebook, announced the changes during the company’s inaugural Facebook Marketers Conference in the US last night.
Facebook hosted more than 1,000 individuals from the marketing industry at the event. As well as talks from the company's top brass, including chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg, it treated guests to an after party with a performance from Alicia Keys.
Prior to the event yesterday, a number of brands, including Burberry, Coca-Cola and Manchester United, rolled out new updates to their brand pages, which include a timeline.
The pages are free to set up and so the new ad formats, announced shortly afterwards, signal Facebook's intend to drive revenue from brands which use the site as a marketing tool.
The majority of Facebook’s revenue comes from advertising. When the company filed for an IPO last month, it revealed that its advertising accounted for 85% of its $3.7bn (£2.3bn) total revenues last year.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Ad Ops Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Strategic Account Manager (Digital) become £45k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Brand Recruitment £38000 per annum, Oxford
- HR Analyst - Financial Services - 6 month initial contract Regan & Dean Recruitment Limited £30000 - £35000 per annum + 6 month pro rata salary , London
- KitKat's mocking Apple tweet outperforms Oreo's Superbowl
- Social Media Week: what social media has taught us
- TfL launches selfie campaign to encourage people to get home safely
- Argos releases alien swan song ad
- Branded Content sends messages ads cannot, Diageo boss says
- 13 ways to create a winning print ad