Tesco claims latest victory in pricing ads battle with Asda
Tesco has succeeded in getting an ad campaign by rival Asda banned for making absolute claims about offering the lowest prices.
The ruling by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is the latest development in a series of tit-for-tat complaints between the two supermarket giants that refuses to die.
In August last year, Tesco failed to get a campaign from rival Asda banned, after it claimed the ad was misleading because it believed it implied Asda was always 10% cheaper. In April, a Tesco ad was banned after an Asda complaint.
The latest press campaign run by Asda contained the claim, "only one supermarket is…always 10% cheaper", a reference to the Asda Price Guarantee, which offers to give customers the monetary difference if it is not 10% cheaper than rivals.
Tesco complained to the (ASA) about the "only one supermarket is…always 10% cheaper" claim, because it confused a price promise with a lowest-price claim.
The ASA ruled that the claim would be interpreted as a lowest-price claim and said qualifying information explaining the Asda Price Guarantee contradicted the supermarket's absolute headline claim.
It told Asda not to reproduce the two press ads, which ran in September and October, in their current form.
An Asda spokespeson said: "The fact that it’s not customers complaining, but a competitor that can’t match our price promise, says it all. Our customers love being able to check how much cheaper their shopping is at Asda and they’re not confused in the slightest."
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Packaging Designer Major Players £35000 - £45000 per annum, City of London
- Senior Designer/ Creative Director Designate Major Players £40000 - £50000 per annum + Plus Benefits, City of London
- Group Head of Design Gemini Search £40000.00 - £55000.00 per annum + Benifits, City of London
- Creative Operations Manager Guru Careers £27 - 32k, Based West Drayton, Greater London (UB7)
- Cobra introduces bra-making brewer 'The Boss'
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- International Women's Day: 'You make your own luck' says Cheryl Giovannoni