Trinity Mirror to launch Happli daily deals service
By Maisie McCabe and Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Friday, 09 March 2012 11:30AM
National and regional newspaper publisher Trinity Mirror is squaring up to the likes of Groupon and LivingSocial with a new daily deals service, backed by a heavyweight ad campaign.
The publisher has launched a landing site for the service called Happli and is poised to roll out the service regionally and nationally next week.
Happli will be led by Dave Raywood, the former digital commercial director at Trinity Mirror Regionals, who has been appointed to the position of managing director of Happli, and managed by a senior digital team.
The service offers members big discounts on products and experiences, such as beauty treatments and meals out.
It is understood that Trinity Mirror has been testing Happli regionally for more than six months and the publisher believes the depth of research and development it has undertaken for the service will help set it apart from its competitors.
The publisher will be offering deals at both local and national level to bolster its connection with local businesses through its regional newspaper titles.
It is understood that Trinity Mirror will unveil a heavyweight campaign, created by Creative Orchestra, to support the launch. A teaser campaign has been running online and in print since last week.
Trinity Mirror's entry into the daily deals fray comes amid intense competition not only from the likes of Groupon and LivingSocial, but also brands such as BP and Time Out, which have branched out into the area.
The sustainability of the companies' business models has come under question, exacerbated by Groupon's recent floatation.
Facebook pulled out of the daily deals space last year. However last weeks its ads signalled that the social network giant still had intentions regarding the market.
Google Offers' UK launch will also test Trinity Mirror. Its UK launch date has not yet been released but it has been gaining traction in the US and increased the number of cities it is available in.
A spokesman for Trinity Mirror declined to comment.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Digital Media Consultant Silverdrum £25,000 - £35,000 depending on experience + uncapped commission, London (Greater)
- Account Director - B2B and IT David Thatcher Recruitment £45-55k, West London, M40 Corridor
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show