Specsavers becomes latest brand to adopt gamification
Specsavers is rolling out an online game to increase the "reach and shelf-life" of its "sauna" TV ads starring celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay.
Specsavers' "angry chef" online game will be accompanied by an MSN homepage takeover on 12 March. It will subsequently be available to play via Specsavers' Facebook page.
The game, created by the brand's in-house advertising department Specsavers Creative, features a man who mistakes a kitchen for a sauna and is chased through a hotel by an angry chef.
Graham Daldry, creative director at Specsavers Creative, said: "Gamification gives our memorable TV commercials life beyond the TV screen while providing an entertaining and highly effective way for consumers to engage with our popular advertising."
The MSN takeover will see the homepage covered in steam as a man in a towel walks across the screen, with the steam then clearing to reveal the "naked hero" with only a "call to action" button covering his modesty.
Viewers can click on the button to play the "sauna" TV ad and launch the "angry chef" game.
During the game players have to jump over obstacles, pick up items and avoid food being thrown at them by the angry chef as they try to reach the safety of the sauna.
Specsavers will seek to encourage competition by allowing Facebook users to share their score with friends.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Strategic Planner - to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London