Ofcom steps up 'fit and proper' Sky probe
Ofcom has set up a dedicated team to investigate BSkyB's status as a "fit and proper" owner of a broadcasting licence, in light of the conduct of its 39.1% shareholder News Corporation and chairman James Murdoch.
It emerged that the media regulator has stepped up its interest in the "fit and proper" investigation it started last year, after a Freedom of Information request by the Financial Times.
The team, called Project Apple, was set up in January to scrutinise material emerging from the Leveson inquiry into press practices and police investigations into phone hacking and corrupt payments to public officials, according to Ofcom minutes.
Having been on the verge of achieving a full takeover of Sky in June 2011 with Ofcom's blessing, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp and his heir apparent now find their involvement with the satellite broadcaster under the regulator’s microscope.
James Murdoch last week stepped down as chairman of News International, the UK newspaper publisher at the centre of the phone hacking scandal and subsequent police investigations.
Sky declined to comment.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Account Director Major Players £250 - £350 per day, West London
- Senior Packaging Artworker - FMCG Twist Recruitment £35000 - £45000 per annum + BENEFITS AND BONUS SCHEME, West End
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers