NEWSPAPER ABCs: Auditor confirms impact of News International's first Sunday Sun
The impact News International's first edition of The Sun had on the Sunday newspaper market has been officially confirmed for the first time today, in ABC figures for February.
The Sunday Sun sold 3,213,613 copies on its debut, with a cover price of 50p. Its impact on its tabloid rivals, which also ran with a 50p cover price, was immediate.
The Sunday Mirror was down 9.06% month on month to 1,594,293, The People dropped 9.02% to 701,246, and the Daily Star Sunday, fell 7.09% to 599,078.
Elsewhere, The Mail on Sunday was down 2.01% month on month to 1,882,469 and the Sunday Express was down 6.60% to 567,800.
Today’s figure for The Sun is in line with Rupert Murdoch's own estimation of 3.26 million announced in a tweet just one day after the launch issue.
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Paid Social Manager - Leading Media Agency - Biddable Media Ultimate Asset £28000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Freelance Planner - FMCG, Pitches & Government Business Speckled Frog £250-£300 daily rate, possibly negotiable, dependent on experience, Central London
- Brand and Marketing Manager sipsmith Up to £30,000 = Benefits (including gin!), Chiswick. London