Olympic Torch Relay route revealed
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 19 March 2012 09:08AM
The Olympic Torch Relay route around UK has been laid out and the names of the majority of the 8,000 people who will carry the flame have been disclosed by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Locog).
The Olympic torch route arrives in the UK on 18 May and begins its 70-day journey the next day.
The torch will visit landmarks including the Giant's Causeway and Stonehenge as part of its route across every region in the UK.
Locog said the Olympic torch will come within 10 miles of 95% of people in the UK, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey and will pass through 1,018 places.
Coca-Cola, Lloyds TSB and Samsung are the sponsors of the torch relay, which ran programmes to find its torchbearers.
The torch will be carried by 7,300 nominated torchbearers along with 700 athletes and celebrities. Each torchbearer will carry the flame for about 300m.
Sebastian Coe, chairman of Locog, said: "Today we bring the Olympic Torch Relay to life, with thousands of inspirational people from all over the UK being confirmed as Torchbearers.
"We hope local communities come out and line the streets to cheer on the Torchbearers, and celebrate the Olympic Games coming to the UK."
Jeremy Hunt, secretary of state for culture, Olympics, media and sport, said: "This is a big day in the Olympics preparations.
"The Torch Relay will now come to life for millions of people. The excitement will be increasingly infectious as people all over the UK now start to plan where they're going to go to see the Olympic Flame and cheers on local Torchbearers."
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Digital Account Manager (Surrey) become £35k, Surrey
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up
- 18 Feet & Rising wins Skoda digital brief