UM lands Zipcar's £4m planning and buying account
By Nick Batten, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 21 March 2012 09:47AM
Zipcar, the car-sharing network, has appointed the Interpublic Group agency UM London to handle its media business, estimated to be worth £4m.
UM London will handle the planning and buying for Zipcar's spring campaign, which will involve its debut radio campaign and a trial of Spotify, as well as Tube panels and newspaper insertions.
The move comes as part of a larger attempt by Zipcar to bolster its UK profile. It has appointed another Interpublic Group agency, Weber Shandwick, to develop a media and consumer engagement programme to help drive acquisitions and brand awareness.
Weber Shandwick will work closely with Zipcar UK's newly appointed marketing director Andrew Barclay, to implement a communications plan focusing on Londoners, with a view to expanding the service nationally.
The hire of the agencies follows Andrew Barclay's appointment earlier this year to the role of marketing director of Zipcar UK.
Barclay said: "We're delighted to be up-weighting our UK marketing support with the appointment of Weber Shandwick and UM London at a critical time for Zipca.
"Both agencies impressed us with their proven track record of building distinctive and innovative brand campaigns, and will play a crucial role in the development of the Zipcar brand in the UK."
Deborah Mackay, business director for UM London, said: "With the spring activity, we will be complementing our response-driven strategy with a push to educate the public about car clubs as a category, making Zipcar the go-to name."
She added that the work the agency had planned was a "real step change" in how Zipcar had approached building its brand in the UK.
Follow Nick Batten on @NickBatten2
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Comms Planning Director Aspire £45000.00 - £48000.00 per annum, London
- Global Account Director Aspire £50000.00 - £60000.00 per annum, London
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up
- 18 Feet & Rising wins Skoda digital brief
- Phones4u goes into administration