Zeebox to introduce voting payments feature
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Wednesday, 21 March 2012 10:38AM
Zeebox, the social TV app, is to enable its users to purchase and cast real-time votes in TV shows, in a bid to provide additional revenue streams for broadcasters.
It has struck a partnership with Mobile Interactive Group (MIG) to integrate its social payments voting platform Engage into the Zeebox app, which currently enables TV viewers to interact and chat via Facebook and Twitter, access TV programme information, and buy what they see on screen.
Users will be able to make payments using the technology to cast votes on reality TV shows. No deals have yet been struck with any broadcasters to use the voting system .
The technology behind the voting platform is similar to that used by MIG to create a Facebook voting app, which was used last year by Channel 5's 'Big Brother'.
Zeebox launched in the UK last year. In January this year, Sky signed a deal reportedly worth $15m (£9.8m) that included the pay-TV company taking a 10% stake in Zeebox, taking on ad sales via Sky Media, and giving Sky the rights to incorporate Zeebox's IP into its own apps.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Digital Display Manager - Fab Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £35k + great benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sales Manager UCAS Up to £50,000 plus 30-days annual leave, bonus, flexible benefits & pension, London (Greater) / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Creative Lead become £45-50k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Production Manager become £35K, Surrey