Agencies predict TV ad market could rise 4% in Q2
Media agencies predict the TV ad market could increase by up to 4% in the second quarter of 2012, as brands increase TV spend around the Easter holidays, the European Football Championship, and ahead of the London Olympics.
Agencies believe TV adspend could increase between 2% and 4% year on year between April and June 2012, which would mean TV spend in the first six months could be around 2% up on H1 2011.
Media agencies predict the amount spent on TV spot advertising is expected to increase by around 1% to 3% in April, between 2% and 6% in May, and by as much as 8% in June.
It is expected that the first quarter of 2012 will be at least in line with the first three months of 2011, and some media agencies suggest it could be higher year on year if late money comes into the market in the next week.
Channel 4 sales ad revenue is expected to increase ahead of the market in the first three months, after benefiting from easy year-on-year comparisons, while ITV will get a boost from 'Britain's Got Talent' and 'Titanic' this weekend.
It is understood that some 30-second spots during the launch of 'Britain's Got Talent' and 'Titanic' could cost up to £65,000 – around 60% more than media agencies suggest is usually paid for big-ticket shows such as 'Coronation Street'.
Agencies believe ITV will be the big winner of the second quarter, with the rest of the series of 'Britain's Got Talent' and the broadcast rights for the UEFA Euro 2012 Football Championship in Poland and Ukraine.
Sky Media, BSkyB's sales house, is expected to benefit from the Formula 1 rights it picked up earlier this year, and the climax of the Barclays Premier League.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Global Events Manager Brompton Bicycle Competitive, London (West), London (Greater)
- Account Director Brand Recruitment £45000 per annum, Cambridge
- SAM Twist Recruitment £32000 - £38000 per annum + great benefits, City of London
- Senior Digital Consultant - Award Winning PR Agency - Big Brands, Central London Capstone Hill Search £65,000 , W1G 0PW, London (Greater)
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- Vizeum retains £14m AB InBev in the UK and adds European markets
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool