Johnny Vaughan to join Absolute Radio for Olympic show
Johnny Vaughan, the former Capital Radio breakfast host, is to join Absolute Radio to present a two-hour evening show during the 2012 London Olympic Games.
Vaughan will present an early evening show every day between 5pm and 6pm, from 27 July until 12 August. The show will include interviews with comedians, musicians, presenters and Olympians, discussion of the day’s big events, both on and off the track, and exclusive music performances.
The show will be broadcast an hour later on the Absolute Radio digital network, including Absolute Radio 60s and Absolute 80s, between 6pm and 8pm.
Clive Dickens, chief operating officer Absolute Radio, said: "Johnny is at the top of his game, and is without a doubt one of the best talents in radio. We are very excited about hearing him back on air, as I am sure will his many fans. He will further strengthen our stellar 'Faces for Radio' line-up."
Global Radio made the shock announcement that Vaughan would be leaving the 95.8 Capital FM breakfast show in November. His former co-host Lisa Snowdon now presents the show with Dave Berry.
Together, Vaughan and Snowdon presented the biggest breakfast show on commercial radio. According to Rajar, in the final three months of last year, 95.8 Capital FM had an average weekly reach of 2.25 million listeners, up 3.4% quarter on quarter and 14.9% year on year.
Vaughan said: "For two weeks this summer we're celebrating the two greatest things Great Britain has given the world – sport and music. So I'm really looking forward to celebrating both."
Absolute Radio won the broadcasting rights for the BT London Live celebrations in the capital (in Hyde Park, Victoria Park and Trafalgar Square) during the 2012 Games, through a joint bid with Bauer Media.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum,