Elle boosts magazine subscriptions with Twitter
By Nick Batten, mediaweek.co.uk, Friday, 30 March 2012 12:41PM
Elle, the fashion and beauty brand published by Hearst Magazines UK, has doubled its magazine subscriptions after its first live digital streaming of a cover shoot via Twitter.
The magazine publisher said the shoot, which featured Kristen Stewart, was the world's number one trending topic on Twitter on Tuesday 13 March while it was taking place in Los Angeles.
Elle magazine subscriptions are reported to have doubled as readers signed up for Kristen Stewart's special subscriber's issue while momentum continues to build amongst followers for the big reveal of the eventual issue which will go on sale in May.
The publisher also claims that the initiative generated so much excitement that its website, ELLEuk.com attracted its highest site traffic figures for more than two years, surpassing even traffic visits for ELLEuk.com's Royal Wedding coverage, with a 231% increase in global unique users, and a 218% page views percentage increase of traffic from Twitter and Facebook.
As highlighted in a recent Fipp report, this live, digital stream of a cover shoot is another example of the innovative ways that magazine publishers are using digital to boost the sales of print magazines.
Lorraine Candy, editor-in-chief of Elle, said: "Elle is known for being a ground breaking and pioneering brand which is why we chose to break with magazine tradition and disclose our cover star two months in advance of publication.
"This unique idea is testament to our integrated approach across Elle, ELLEuk.com and Twitter and one of the many new ideas we are working on as a team. We have pushed the boundaries to reap excellent rewards and will continue to do so as the brand evolves this year."
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Biddable Account Manager Norton Leigh £40,000, Central London
- Sales Manager-Multi-Screen Creative Ad-Tech Solutions Ultimate Asset £45000 - £50000 per annum + uncapped commission & benefits, London
- Media Sales Executive Syon Publishing £23K-£35K Basic + Commission (this is shown in the ad), Kew Bridge
- Account Manager Â– Well Regarded Integrated Agency ADLIB to £30k, Bristol
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'
- Partners Andrews Aldridge restructures creative with hires and promotions
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Gatwick rolls out 'guess the X-ray' competition