Tesco pushes 'home of gaming' positioning after Game collapse
Tesco is running a press ad campaign positioning itself as "the home of gaming" in the same week that troubled gaming retailer Game announced it is to close almost half its stores.
The Tesco ad claims the supermarket has the largest number of gaming stores in the UK and points out it also has more than 10,000 games available online. Tesco also offers a trade-in service, which lets consumers trade old games for money off in-store.
Media planning and buying for the campaign was handled by Initiative, with the ad was created by The Red Brick Road.
A Tesco spokesperson said: "This print ad is the latest in a campaign showcasing our non-food products – in this case games. Our games offer is very popular with customers, with over 10,000 games available online and almost 400 stores open at midnight for new game releases."
The campaign comes after Game's administrators announced on Monday (26 March) that it was closing 277 stores this week, resulting in 2,104 redundancies.
Game's fall from grace comes after it failed to fend off growing competition from large supermarkets such as Tesco and internet retailers including Amazon.
The retailer's troubles were accelerated following a dispute with suppliers at the start of the year, after being unable to honour deals. This meant it was not able to stock games including 'Mass Effect 3', one of the year's most anticipated releases.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- POS Assistant Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £32000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Client Services Director - Sydney Australia Twist Recruitment £105000 per annum, Eastern Suburbs Sydney
- TV Buyer - £26K - HUGE Client! Ultimate Asset £25000 - £27000 per annum, London
- Media Editor Amlin Competitive salary and benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Executive Amlin Competitive salary and benefits, Brussels
- Adam & Eve/DDB wins 2014 IPA Effectiveness Awards Grand Prix
- Enjoyed getting an hour back on Sunday? You'll get years back if you stop smoking, says charity
- Tiffany & Co hires MEC for $100m global media
- Mattessons Fridge Raiders campaign delivers AI robot to YouTube gamer
- Facebook and Airbnb sign up to D&AD New Blood
- HSBC launches Anyone's Game golf campaign