Tesco pushes 'home of gaming' positioning after Game collapse
Tesco is running a press ad campaign positioning itself as "the home of gaming" in the same week that troubled gaming retailer Game announced it is to close almost half its stores.
The Tesco ad claims the supermarket has the largest number of gaming stores in the UK and points out it also has more than 10,000 games available online. Tesco also offers a trade-in service, which lets consumers trade old games for money off in-store.
Media planning and buying for the campaign was handled by Initiative, with the ad was created by The Red Brick Road.
A Tesco spokesperson said: "This print ad is the latest in a campaign showcasing our non-food products – in this case games. Our games offer is very popular with customers, with over 10,000 games available online and almost 400 stores open at midnight for new game releases."
The campaign comes after Game's administrators announced on Monday (26 March) that it was closing 277 stores this week, resulting in 2,104 redundancies.
Game's fall from grace comes after it failed to fend off growing competition from large supermarkets such as Tesco and internet retailers including Amazon.
The retailer's troubles were accelerated following a dispute with suppliers at the start of the year, after being unable to honour deals. This meant it was not able to stock games including 'Mass Effect 3', one of the year's most anticipated releases.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Marketing Executive or Marketing Manager air recruitment £28k-£35k dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- B2B Lead Generation Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £20000 - £40000 per annum + Uncapped Commission, London
- Out of Home Sales - Huge digital potential! Ultimate Asset £20000 - £75000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Planning Manager - Unique Opportunity! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits, London
- Comms Manager - Top 5 global media agency - GAMING ACCOUNT Ultimate Asset £4000 - £35000 per annum, City of London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- The man who made Grey matter
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- Heineken selects Publicis Worldwide to be lead global creative agency
- Yorkshire Tea launches £5 million campaign