Tesco pushes 'home of gaming' positioning after Game collapse
Tesco is running a press ad campaign positioning itself as "the home of gaming" in the same week that troubled gaming retailer Game announced it is to close almost half its stores.
The Tesco ad claims the supermarket has the largest number of gaming stores in the UK and points out it also has more than 10,000 games available online. Tesco also offers a trade-in service, which lets consumers trade old games for money off in-store.
Media planning and buying for the campaign was handled by Initiative, with the ad was created by The Red Brick Road.
A Tesco spokesperson said: "This print ad is the latest in a campaign showcasing our non-food products – in this case games. Our games offer is very popular with customers, with over 10,000 games available online and almost 400 stores open at midnight for new game releases."
The campaign comes after Game's administrators announced on Monday (26 March) that it was closing 277 stores this week, resulting in 2,104 redundancies.
Game's fall from grace comes after it failed to fend off growing competition from large supermarkets such as Tesco and internet retailers including Amazon.
The retailer's troubles were accelerated following a dispute with suppliers at the start of the year, after being unable to honour deals. This meant it was not able to stock games including 'Mass Effect 3', one of the year's most anticipated releases.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Account Manager Gemini Search £28000.00 - £34000.00 per annum, London
- Business Director Gemini Search £70000.00 - £80000 per annum, London
- Creative Strategist- £65k - Well known FMCG Brands Gemini Search £65000 per annum, City of London
- Senior Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, West Midlands
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show
- McDonald's launches 40th anniversary campaign