April Fools' Day: Which brands got involved?
By Daniel Farey-Jones, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 02 April 2012 12:33PM
BMW, Peugeot, The Famous Grouse and Virgin Holidays were among the brands playing pranks for April Fools' Day yesterday.
Serial offender BMW took out press ads for a new technology for runners inspired by its partnership with the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The ads read: "The new driverless Running Coach feature uses a combination of ConnectedDrive technologies and surround view cameras to enable your BMW to follow you at a safe distance while you pound the streets … Alvin Alaff, BMW's Head of Innovation, said ‘It's a car gym but not as we know it.’"
Peugeot also discovered a new technology – a body paint that changes colour to reflect the driver's emotions, which it explained with this work created by CMW.
The Famous Grouse used a press ad to showcase a new whisky called The Famous Goose, to which it convinced a whisky blog to give its first ever five-star review.
Sir Richard Branson used Twitter to help promote a new currency named after him that will be accepted at all Virgin Holidays destinations.
In Australia, Ikea issued a product recall ad apologising for selling incorrect left-handed Allen keys and inviting customers to come to stores to exchange keys.
Finally, Google issued a version of Google Maps for the "long neglected" Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), using old-fashioned eight-bit graphics.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Paid Search Account Manager - PPC Ultimate Asset £27000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- PPC Lead - Leading Dig Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £40000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [BTL / Promotions / Digital] - £45k - £50k + bonus! Fill Recruitment £45k - £50k + superb bonus & benefits, London (Greater)
- Account Director [Contract] - BTL / Promotions - European role - to £50k pro rata Fill Recruitment to £50k pro rata, plus bonus and superb benefits., London (Greater)
- HSBC uses emotive ad to relaunch bank account on Christmas Day
- Tetley launches ad with Tea Folk in middle of medieval battle
- Virgin Holidays encourages customers to 'flaunt it' in Christmas Day ad
- Top 10 most-viewed The Work
- US holiday campaign round-up 2014
- 'Creative' RFI requests are getting out of control